What's new
What's new

Considering getting a 3D printer...

BenY 2013

Plastic
So I am extremely interested in anything to do with guns. I work in a suppressor shop, taking machining classes so I can one day work on guns and I spend way too much of my time reading whatever I can on various gun forums. While browsing around on one of these forums I found a thread where people were wanting a certain magazine for bolt guns. There is only one company right now that I am aware of that sells these types of magazines, made from metal, ridiculously expensive and never in stock anywhere.

After reading this I haven't quite been able to shake the idea of getting a 3D printer and selling my own version of these magazines, changed enough so that it would be different and unique. Made from a durable plastic(I know it's possible or Magpul wouldn't be in business.) at a lower cost and hopefully greater availability.

So I guess my question is, am I out of my mind thinking this is a possibility business wise? I am brand new to the realm of 3D printing but have a decent understanding of other machines(CNC and manual mill and lathe) as well as machining experience as well I am currently taking CAD classes.

What printer would guys recommend? I have looked at the MakerBot Replicator. MakerBot Replicator Desktop 3D Printer (Fifth Generation Model) It seems to have a lot of nice features that I would like. But if there is a better more economically priced printer out there I'd love to know.

I'd greatly appreciate any input you guys could give me! Thanks

Ben

Ben,
Speaking from experience:
Honestly, for right now, forgetaboutit. Just for a while..

3D printing is yet another product that the advertising is way ahead of the engineering. Not to knock it, it has a bright future. For your application in particular the price of the machine and software that would [possibly] produce a durable product is tens of thousands more expensive then a MakerBot machine is capable of. Even then the cost of volume production per part cannot beat conventional methods - not yet anyhow.
I would advise you to put your energy and money into learning CAD and machining, turn your ideas into CAD files and keep them from people who you would not trust with your life.

Regards,
B

Ben,
Speaking from experience:
Honestly, for right now, forgetaboutit. Just for a while..

3D printing is yet another product that the advertising is way ahead of the engineering. Not to knock it, it has a bright future. For your application in particular the price of the machine and software that would [possibly] produce a durable product is tens of thousands more expensive then a MakerBot machine is capable of. Even then the cost of volume production per part cannot beat conventional methods - not yet anyhow.
I would advise you to put your energy and money into learning CAD and machining, turn your ideas into CAD files and keep them from people who you would not trust with your life.

Regards,
B

Thank you very much for you honesty! It is greatly appreciated! I am still finding it hard not to order one that is a good bit cheaper with good reviews just because of how interesting they are, they fascinate me very much! Appreciate it sir!

Ben

I see a great future in 3D scan/printing, it's still costly for the equipment but it should go down in the future. I'm looking at borrowing my missing parts and having them scanned.

You're going to get your best strength from an FDM machine like a makerbot. However, that will only be about 60% the strength of injection molded ABS. Magpul uses a high fill glass fiber nylon - wayyyy stronger that what a 3D printer can do.

Even if the FDM 3d printers could make a strong enough product (they can't) 3d printing is a very, very, VERY slow process. There's absolutely no way you could use one in volume production making a part with ANY conventionally produced competition and not lose your shirt. They're great as toys, and they're okay if you need something that is absolutely a one-off or custom fit to a scanned surface like a body part.

A injection molding press can probably make about one magazine per minute. A makerbot can probably make one magazine per DAY.

Back