Graphite In Bronze Bushing
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Graphite In Bronze Bushing

Our Customer has asked us to machine some large c932 bronze bushings with pitched ID grooves in them and fill it with graphite. Anyone have experience with that and is that something a novice person can do. I can purchase powder or paste but hardening it seems to be a road block. I've read this can be done with binders or heat treatment. The mating part is a steel shaft. The ID would be cut to size after the graphite is added.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Several companies do this...the name that pops into my head is "Graphite Metallizing" I do not know the process they use. I would call htem and maybe sub it out

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CPilz View Post
    Our Customer has asked us to machine some large c932 bronze bushings with pitched ID grooves in them and fill it with graphite. Anyone have experience with that and is that something a novice person can do. I can purchase powder or paste but hardening it seems to be a road block. I've read this can be done with binders or heat treatment. The mating part is a steel shaft. The ID would be cut to size after the graphite is added.
    Common stock item from MANY makers. Folk usually just buy them, ready-made. Here is but one example:

Plug Graphite Bearings | National Bronze Mfg.

24 hr turn around on quotes for specials.

And they have competition. LOTS of it!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your wasting time if you make these, your local bearing/bushing industrial supply shop knows the mfgs just sent them the RFQ, or a quick google search gives you the US mfgs, they even do customs with short lead times.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also the Glacier high load run dry bushings ,quite expensive ,but used in exacting applications.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Micmac1 View Post
    Your wasting time if you make these, your local bearing/bushing industrial supply shop knows the mfgs just sent them the RFQ, or a quick google search gives you the US mfgs, they even do customs with short lead times.
    Prezactly.

Any fool can turn the Bronze.

But you do NOT want to know what amount of time.. and MONEY.. it could cost you to learn what THEY already know about putting Graphite to work effectively, reliably, and affordably.