Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those mentioning or considering the Ender 3 - a great resource of knowledge is the CtrlPew page The Complete Getting Started Guide | CTRL+Pew

Country
    UKRAINE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for this more information about Ender 3!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxian View Post
    I will throw my 2 cents in here. I wanted a 3D printer to do some little useful stuff for the shop and some prototype work.

I bought a new Prusa kit about a month ago. I needed to do iterations of a product that was human interface so required being able to hold it in my hands and use it to see if the design worked. Prusa had a good rep as being reliable and the comparable ones to their $750 dollar kit are at least twice the cost.

So for me the Prusa has been like a professional machine. I put in a program, prep everything and it works every time with no BS or fails. It's been invaluable.
    Hi
    I am due to receive my Prusa in 8 days time.
    I also chose the Prusa because of its reported quality and reliability of printing.
    Your results are consistent with every review I have seen.

Dazz

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I bought a Prusa Mk3s kit a couple months ago and have been using it for engineering-type prints as well as a few toys from the free download sites. It's working pretty well for me now, but getting to this point has been full of failed prints. The quality in PLA is pretty good good once you get it dialed in (pay special attention to what's called Live Z Adjust). If you plan to print in PETG be prepared for at least a bit of stringing and run what's called a temperature tower to help you find the best temperature for your needs and filament brand. PETG also seems to do better with the textured steel sheet. So far I'm finding support removal to be problematic in PLA - it tens to tear off instead of breaking cleanly. I've yet to try ABS, my preferred filament, as the Prusa really needs an enclosure to use that filament for medium to large prints. In a month or two I will probably buy this enclosure:

SingleCell™ Prusa MK3/S Enclosure | Hall Precision

At $250 (plus shipping) it is pretty expensive but the design looks really good and I already have more than enough projects on my plate.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That enclosure looks better than the Ikea Lack enclosures I keep seeing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi
    I received my Prusa, then spent 3 days part time assembling the kit with my son.

The printer powered up OK first time.
    Have only done a few prints in PLA but the print quality is flawless.

I purchased the Prusa because of the reported reliability and quality of printing. So far it has lived up to that reputation.

Dazz

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi
    Having purchased and run a few print jobs, I have looked at upgrade hacks. I just can't help my self.
    There are more than a few that just look like tool bling with no clear or proven performance improvement.
    The upgrades that do look worth while replace a substantial portion of the Prusa key parts. For example the Bear upgrade replaces the frame.
    Many upgrades can be printed.

Building a custom version of the Prusa looks like a viable and cost effective option (excluding all labour). My printer is a father/son quality time thing so more time is good time.
    Of course you need a printer to be able to print the upgrades (or you can buy them ready made).

So the Prusa is good out of the box, but if you don't mind expending some time, you can build an improved version from scratch, probably cheaper than buying the genuine original article.

Dazz

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been mostly happy with my Prusa Mk3s. My one complaint so far is the awkwardness of working on the hot end. I agree that some owners seem overly concerned with upgrades that may be of dubious value, but a hot end upgrade is starting to sound attractive to me. The Mosquito or Mosquito Magnum seem to be pretty well received and claims to allow one-handed nozzle changing, which would address one of my main complaints.

Bondtech Presents Slice Engineering's Mosquito Hotend