ot: Best hand-held 3d scanner under 10k, 20k and 30K
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ot: Best hand-held 3d scanner under 10k, 20k and 30K

3d scanner under 10k, 20k and 30k. Hand-held or table top, preferably the former.

Can the data from all the major 3d scanner brands be imported into popular CAD / CAM programs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

look at Keyence. No idea what they cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Be careful the scanner has the accuracy you need.

I went to a scanner demo recently, fell in love with the hand held unit they were demo'ing. +/-.001 accuracy. Exactly what I wanted...... Got a bit of sticker shock on the price. $60K plus the tethered laptop at $8K.

Another one interested me. It fits onto an iPad at less than $1K. Seemed like a good deal considering it utilizes the iPad for computations. Unfortunately the manufacturer doesn't give any accuracy specs, all they say is it's not good for small objects. Apparently, it's around +/-1 mm.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OP, if you're interested, we have an Artec EVA 3d handheld scanner that we're not using anymore (purchased a faro arm with laser scanner)
    send me a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doug was the sticker shock scanner a Creaform? They've been on my "if I ever get rich" toy list forever, but whoo, are they proud of what they've come up with.

Spud what size objects are you looking to scan? Most of these are camera based, so a high resolution scanner for a small object is a different price category from the same resolution for a huge object. PhotoNeo makes some really cool stuff at about $15k, but integration is largely left up to the user, as they're more robotics targeted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

empower @ Comatose

The scanner is not for me. It is for the Automotive program in the tech school I am in. The instructor was looking at a scanner and laser cutter system to cut out insert cavities for tools, for the tool drawer. There is a dedicated machine to do just this but the cost is $70K.

I suggested that maybe a handheld laser scanner would the exact same thing. Scan all the tools layed out on a flat work surface, then export the file to a laser engraver/cutter that would cut the foam insert . The advantage with a hand-held scanner is that it can be used to scan automotive parts also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    empower @ Comatose

The scanner is not for me. It is for the Automotive program in the tech school I am in. The instructor was looking at a scanner and laser cutter system to cut out insert cavities for tools, for the tool drawer. There is a dedicated machine to do just this but the cost is $70K.

I suggested that maybe a handheld laser scanner would the exact same thing. Scan all the tools layed out on a flat work surface, then export the file to a laser engraver/cutter that would cut the foam insert . The advantage with a hand-held scanner is that it can be used to scan automotive parts also.

Just look for a company that's already doing this, it's cheaper in time and overhead. We had shadow boards cut for our machines by a local guy, and they're fantastic, way cheaper than buying the equipment and doing it yourself. They've even got magnets epoxied in them to hold the tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Just look for a company that's already doing this, it's cheaper in time and overhead. We had shadow boards cut for our machines by a local guy, and they're fantastic, way cheaper than buying the equipment and doing it yourself. They've even got magnets epoxied in them to hold the tools.
    Yeah that's one suggestion I made. It may be the route the instructor takes, no idea yet.

Having your own machine does have a huge convenience factor though. You can make the inserts as soon as you want it; no need to wait.

An outside contractor cutting the foam will still need to have dimensions and type of tools, so they would need a scan of all the tools layed out. The actual actual laser cutting can be handled by vendors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Comatose View Post
    Doug was the sticker shock scanner a Creaform? They've been on my "if I ever get rich" toy list forever, but whoo, are they proud of what they've come up with.

.................................................. .
    I'm not sure..... The event was listed as scanner and 3D printing demos. But it turned into a 2 hour introduction to Solidworks 2020. First break I got out of there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I'm not sure..... The event was listed as scanner and 3D printing demos. But it turned into a 2 hour introduction to Solidworks 2020. First break I got out of there.
    So you pulled chute, cause solidworks... blah blah?

I mean, I get it. But ffs dude, you dont even remember what scanning tool was being used.
    Who was this chitshow being put on by?

Im pretty sure they'd be handing out brocures\portfolios at something like this.

I've been to a pile of reseller "lunch and learns", "product information sessions", etc. And I've never ARRIVED without having a reasonable idea about the product to be presented.