What's new
What's new

Is it possible to 3D print tires that hold air?

Is there any reason why you couldn't pour in some sealer when done ?

Like tire bead sealant, should work well, and pour out the excess.

If the tire was made more like a standard tire that is open to the inside then yes to both of those ideas. The ones in the Facebook link are not open in the middle. They are like a heavy version of an inner tube only molded instead of extruded like an inner tube is. I would just buy a set from the company in the link but the guy passed away a year ago. It was a one man operation. Now I’m trying to come up with a simple lightweight alternative to his tires that are 60% scale models of the full size tires.

Just a thought as I know nothing about the tires you are trying to make. Most higher end bicycles currently use what is called running tubeless. Mountain bikes have been doing this for years and road bikes just in the last few years. The sealing solution can be added through the valve (no need for an open tire). Orange seal and Stan's are probably the most common liquid sealers and can be bought at any bike shop. The valve core is unscrewed and the sealer added.
If your tires have valves stems then it should work if you are having problems with the porosity of your 3D printed tires.
Andy

Last edited:
If the tire was made more like a standard tire that is open to the inside then yes to both of those ideas. The ones in the Facebook link are not open in the middle. They are like a heavy version of an inner tube only molded instead of extruded like an inner tube is. I would just buy a set from the company in the link but the guy passed away a year ago. It was a one man operation. Now I’m trying to come up with a simple lightweight alternative to his tires that are 60% scale models of the full size tires.

I already read that, my suggestion still stands.

Your wasting our time with "Yabutts".

Perhaps print it with voids inside that provide the right balance of give and support so that air isn't needed. You can install the valve stems if needed for scale accuracy. You could even increase the mass opposite the valve for balance purposes. If you want, that is...

Just a thought as I know nothing about the tires you are trying to make. Most higher end bicycles currently use what is called running tubeless. Mountain bikes have been doing this for years and road bikes just in the last few years. The sealing solution can be added through the valve (no need for an open tire). Orange seal and Stan's are probably the most common liquid sealers and can be bought at any bike shop. The valve core is unscrewed and the sealer added.
If your tires have valves stems then it should work if you are having problems with the porosity of your 3D printed tires.
Andy

I didn’t think about a sealant that could be added through the valve stem. At first I was thinking it would need to be applied by hand to the inside of the tire. I will take a look at those sealants. Thanks

Back