Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is possible to 3d print a part with wood content. Just not 100% wood. For a prototype then it should be more acceptable. Or another just plastic part to more closely simulate the stained color would be possible too.
    Amazon.com: MG Chemicals Wood 3D Printer Filament, 1.75mm, .5 Kg (1.1 lbs.) - Wood: Kitchen & Dining

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I think he means friction welding of wood. Of course the heat causes charring at the interface. I suppose if done in a vacuum the charring would be reduced.
    Bill D
    Uhm...no.

It's a Hi freq wood glue curing (rapid curing) device.

No welding involved.

Been around a long time.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some years ago I met a guy that worked at a place that made gear knobs with wood effect. He gave me one as I had a Jaguar XJ6 back then.

He told me that the company he worked for, made wood effect trim and steering wheel for Jaguar cars and others, the trim was formed plywood which was dipped to get the wood effect, and then lacquered.

Maybe looking into this manufacturing method could find a source for the parts, or finding out how it is done will provide a solution?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've recently become involved with a process that seeks to use fruit pulp as a form of textile 'leather'. The gist of it is that apple carcasses are dried, ground and mixed with a resin binder. It raises the question of when a material matrix ceases to be one of its constituents and is nothing more than particles held together by glue.

The wood filament is mostly resin, is it not? Like the apple leather being called 'apple', I'd hardly call that 'wood. It has none of the structural or native properties of the original material. Not saying it's not available or marketed as such, just that we may be getting into a sad state of affairs wrt consumer materials.