What's new
What's new

"Printing" A full size house

Not gonna happen, or at least with that design of printer.
I think it would be better to build bricks and assemble them into a house.

At 12 hours to deposit an ABS brick, I don't see 3D printing as quite the miracle the gullible think it is. Sure, you can print a lightweight skeletal matrix on the interior to save material and time, but the big bad wolf sure wouldn't have to blow very hard...

Given today's 3D printer technology, assuming you wanted a 2500 sq ft house, you could start printing the day you started your first job and you *might* have a complete house by the day you retired 40 years later. Or not.

--Hawk

Somebody needs to build a 3D printer that can print 3D printers.

Regards.

Mike

I can just imagine 3d printers making other 3d printers to make more 3d printers and on and on.
One day they will take over the world :D

:bowdown: 3D printer

The economics, or lack thereof (compared to a few skids of 2x4s, OSB, and drywall) will limit this to the dreamers for the next 50+ years.

The economics, or lack thereof (compared to a few skids of 2x4s, OSB, and drywall) will limit this to the dreamers for the next 50+ years.

Yea but it will keep the college kids busy for a few years, as long as they can get a big company to pay for it. Instead of a whole building what if you just wanted some custom door entrances? Would it still be more expensive than hiring a proper stone carver to do it? Like anything new it takes a while for everyone to find out what it can do well and what it cant.

Charles

Prototype printer in small scale.

Why Design Now?: Contour Crafting - YouTube

Just think what was new the beginning of the last century - Aviation, leading to man on the moon.

Beginning of this century 3d printers, leading too.....?

I can see this happening in say, 10 to 20 years.

Modern version of the mud and straw houses that we have here still standing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cob_(material)

Edited to add link to Cob Houses.

Instead of a whole building what if you just wanted some custom door entrances? Would it still be more expensive than hiring a proper stone carver to do it?

I don't see how it's even possible without steel or wood reinforcement. And then there's the building codes...

Soon you can 3D print your own EARTH....:D . First just collect enough startdust (or low rad uranium, there should be enough of it by then) to build you own gravity field.

Maybe something like this will, when fitted in with the proper materials, will be of use a bit sooner:
https://www.tue.nl/en/university/news-and-press/news/tue-students-complete-worlds-biggest-ice-dome/

Regards,
Max

That could be used for putting up quick hangar type construcions, may be some military uses for that idea.

Yep,
Think of a web bound(fibers) urethane foam that's sprayed on the dome(die) first as a basis, light weight "bubble concrete" next, finally the heavy concrete "fiber web-bound" layers when the basis is strong enough. Make you own custom "bubble-die" for multiple compartment houses and more. Just a few thoughts.

That could be used for putting up quick hangar type construcions, may be some military uses for that idea.

I read somewhere they were looking into quick ways of building a space station on the moon. So maybe some government will be putting money into this for more research.

Bunch of dreamers, nothing more.
To wake up, they should watch how quickly modern scaffolding is erected and pored. Or how quick "light scaffolding" is. That is a "lost" scaffolding poured in concrete at the factory with all the reinforcement and ducts and outlets already installed. On a truck to the site, erected and pored with concrete. Done!

Nick

Once not to long ago people looked at what the Wright brothers were playing with and surely thought the contraption would never carry much of anything very far or compete with trains
and ships to move cargo and people.

Monolithic cast concrete houses have been tried before, by Thomas Edison no less...

It was a massive failure. There are lots of articles if you google "thomas edison concrete house". It turns out that there were a bunch of them in the town where I grew up.
Here's one article

Thomas Edison?s Beautiful Failure | Braving the Wilds

Donora, PA has a section called Cement City. Cast concrete houses. The houses have held up well and still standing.
https://sites.google.com/site/donorahistoricalsociety/cement-city
Side note - Donora was also the site of the 1948 Smog Inversion that led to the deaths of 20 people, and hospitalized a few thousand.
Donora Smog of 1948

Back