What's new
What's new

Printing part in support material

Fellowcraft

Plastic
Hello All,

I have a question regarding printing in support material. We have an ancient Stratasys FDM Vantage printer at our facility that has seen better days, but still gets the job done.

We need to print a part in support material only. This part is for a research department; they will be pouring some sort of resin in the cavities of the print and then putting it in the water bath to dissolve the material. I have never had the need to print in just support material....how is this done? We are using Insight software....also ancient. The shape of the part is such that it will probably not require support material of it own.

Any advice will be most appreciated

Thanks.

Last edited:
Support material doesn't know its support material, so just print with it :D

If you need to make a mold, instead of the part itself, then I think that Cura slicer can do that for you by just checking a box. I haven't done it yet.

I don't know if this is possible with Stratasys printers. We have not found a way to do it with the uPrint. We've done it with PLA on low cost printers and then dissolved with limonine. This is not as satisfactory as it could be if you could do what you are proposing, but that was a few years ago and there may be better open source options now.

The uPirnt is good when you are printing complete human skulls from CT data, so you need full support material and it takes like 40 hours and you need to to not fail halfway through

Back