What's new
What's new

question about printing Gasoline/Diesel containers

litlerob1

Diamond
Total un-initiated Additive guy here.

What would be the draw back/s of printing a heavy duty Gasoline container? IE; 3/16-1/4" wall thickness, odd shapes, 1 US Gallon capacity. I would guess a 18"x18" Bed/Platform would be enough to contain X and Y and another 18" for Z would clear the part I'm thinking of. A 2.5" diameter Threaded fill hole on top, and a smaller dispensing hole in the bottom. (some of the motorbike guys are following now :D)

HDPE is printable with a high Temp. Machine. With that type of wall thickness(.25"), would it need to be layered, or one shot and done? Like I said, I know nothing.

I can create my own Solid model obviously.

Robert

Well, cost would be one reason. And unless you're using a laser melting/sintering method, I think all the "filament" style printers have an anisotropic aspect to their physical properties, meaning the strength is lower in (typically) Z, the direction perpendicular to the layers as printed. So it could split if subject to excessive vibration or load.

And then there's the issue of porosity, as many of these printed objects aren't liquid tight.

There's a mega-butt-ton of containers out there, nothing off the shelf will work for you?

Well, cost would be one reason. And unless you're using a laser melting/sintering method, I think all the "filament" style printers have an anisotropic aspect to their physical properties, meaning the strength is lower in (typically) Z, the direction perpendicular to the layers as printed. So it could split if subject to excessive vibration or load.

And then there's the issue of porosity, as many of these printed objects aren't liquid tight.

There's a mega-butt-ton of containers out there, nothing off the shelf will work for you?

Thanks Milland, this isn't a question of buying one because I needs it. It's a question about possible batch production. Assuming that initial cost (Machine purchase) is no object.

The part would be subject to quite a lot of vibration and impact in practical use. It would need to be liquid tight, through all the trauma.

So I guess this is where Mold making and 3D printing part ways, huh??

R

If for personal use fine...google blitz before thinking about resale.

Great company with long history and we have many of their product.

But too many stupid people doing things like pouring fuel into burning fire and getting burned winning lawsuits for being stupid caused the company to close.

Millions of dollars in suits because folks were stupid!

Special place in hell for them...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If for personal use fine...google blitz before thinking about resale.

Great company with long history and we have many of their product.

But too many stupid people doing things like pouring fuel into burning fire and getting burned winning lawsuits for being stupid caused the company to close.

Millions of dollars in suits because folks were stupid!

Special place in hell for them...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. :ill:

Kustom, which element failed without the Epoxy? The seal for the liquid, or the resistance to abuse? Or both? Obviously if it can't stand the abuse, the liquid part is not going to work out. Just wondering about your processing and testing.

R

I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. :ill:

Kustom, which element failed without the Epoxy? The seal for the liquid, or the resistance to abuse? Or both? Obviously if it can't stand the abuse, the liquid part is not going to work out. Just wondering about your processing and testing.

R

The printing substrates are semi porous... this was 5ish years ago, technology may have changed.

So I guess this is where Mold making and 3D printing part ways, huh??

R

Yeah, there's still lots of places where molding is the better, cheaper, faster way to go, as long as the quantity makes sense. One option is vacuum forming over a 1/2 plug, then "welding" the two halves together. This can be reasonably cheap for custom units, and properly welded is just as strong as a fully molded part.

So no one has asked yet, why? Just looking for an alternative to molding, product idea testing? What about a stamped/welded construction from (some type of) steel?

So no one has asked yet, why? Just looking for an alternative to molding, product idea testing? What about a stamped/welded construction from (some type of) steel?

Because I only know enough to make it interesting enough to be curious, but enough resource to know where to ask :D

Really, it's a whole preospective product line. But the containers are a seemingly obvious addition (if feasible).

R

Lets add to the question; what other material besides HDPE would be able to accomplish what I want? The 3 major factors are.

A. Non soluble with Gasoline or Diesel.
B. High Impact resistance.
C. Printable.

PTFE
PET
PPS
CAB

Any ideas? Robert

Back