What's new
What's new

SLA conical press fit into punched sheet metal hole

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
Hi all, new to 3d printing and plastic mfg in general. I'd like to print some bushings for my 40 taper (shop-made) tooling racks. It'd be a bushing with a tapered bore to receive the tool holder and the bottom should snap into a punched hole in the sheet metal. I don't want the bushing to pull back out of the sheet metal, so I'd like to print a little tapered neck on the bottom to snap into the punched hole in the sheet metal. How much over will I be able to force through?

Sla is pretty strong so you should be able to leave a decent lip on there and still be able to press it in...I'd say .03 - .04. Maybe put a little lead on it.

I assume from your other post you mean a FDM printer rather than a SLA?

If it was mine I'd design it with about .015" clearance and model retention tab(s) into it. It'd allow a lot easier replacement in the future and easier to accommodate out of round holes off the printer and on the sheet metal.

It's a 3d printer, you don't have to design things that are easy to manufacture with traditional methods. Is there a local/in-country source for filament, or does it have to come in with other your other bulk shipped in supplies?

I assume from your other post you mean a FDM printer rather than a SLA?

If it was mine I'd design it with about .015" clearance and model retention tab(s) into it. It'd allow a lot easier replacement in the future and easier to accommodate out of round holes off the printer and on the sheet metal.

It's a 3d printer, you don't have to design things that are easy to manufacture with traditional methods. Is there a local/in-country source for filament, or does it have to come in with other your other bulk shipped in supplies?

I've just ordered my machine, but it should be able to do PLA and ABS. (Shhh: Ender 3v2)

I also will now learn to check thingiverse first, there are several models doing exactly what I had planned, haha!

I'm in Michigan right now and ordered it to evaluate whether it's worth sending over in our next shipping container (next year). No source, all of the filament will have to be sent with the printer.

Still trying to decide if it's a useful tool that has a place in a fab/machine shop or just a fun toy.

Back