What's new
What's new

Space qualified pressure tank from additive machining

Yes, but thats just it the 1 year lead time claim is bullshit, i can order custom ones here in the uk in any metal in just a matter of weeks, there a spun formed item, all done under cnc and from nothing more than a simple flat disc. Titanium is not that hard to work! I know for a fact theres a lot of titanium ones in use in the medical and chemical industries at significant pressures too. If this had some kinda lattice like lightening machined into that would be different, but there pics just show a domed tank end, to claim 1 years lead time on a readily available part just shows how inefficient there engineers are with design and there suppliers are with delivery. If space flights ever going to get cheaper, making every part totally custom is not the way to get there.

Then again its loc head martin a NASA pet supplier who seams to get all kinds of special backing and free passes unlike some of the commercial space industry startups. Its like the amount of testing being put on space x compared to there "pet" competitor who seams to have to do none of the in-flight abort testing and constantly justify themselves let alone look at value for money.

Yes, but thats just it the 1 year lead time claim is bullshit, i can order custom ones here in the uk in any metal in just a matter of weeks, there a spun formed item, all done under cnc and from nothing more than a simple flat disc. Titanium is not that hard to work! I know for a fact theres a lot of titanium ones in use in the medical and chemical industries at significant pressures too. If this had some kinda lattice like lightening machined into that would be different, but there pics just show a domed tank end, to claim 1 years lead time on a readily available part just shows how inefficient there engineers are with design and there suppliers are with delivery. If space flights ever going to get cheaper, making every part totally custom is not the way to get there.

Then again its loc head martin a NASA pet supplier who seams to get all kinds of special backing and free passes unlike some of the commercial space industry startups. Its like the amount of testing being put on space x compared to there "pet" competitor who seams to have to do none of the in-flight abort testing and constantly justify themselves let alone look at value for money.

I didn’t see a shot of the inside.
I know they used to acid etch pockets, leaving ribs inside the old tanks.
Perhaps joy are right regarding the structure.

but you can't really justify using couple centuries old tech to get to do an order payed by some special govt program that requires the contractor to use "future technologies, to support innovation"

why those govt programs require use of those technologies, well, those voted in people need to be able to steer the money in direction of their supporters in a more or less secure way somehow, and "future tech", "innovation", "3d printing" sound good on the TV

The motor car did not become common till ford standardised and mass produced shit, just why does the idiots in the space race think every parts gotta fucking be different every time? Just look at how cube sats have taken off, standardisation brings costs down and then we can stick more stuff up there. With space x reducing the cost penalty for mass to orbit, surely even space travel is starting to get to the point were using some kinda a standard tank is cheaper than the costs of total custom design even if it saves a few grams or even a kilo or 2?

adama you are correct. And SpaceX is doing mass production of their rockets and engines. They do not do the whole one and one and one build process that so many other companies have done for space hardware. That is one of the ways SpaceX is reducing the cost of access to space. Reusability wil reduce the price even more.

Baby steps. You have to be able to make the simpler but large dome shape in additive manufacturing before you can make more complicated shapes (think packaging) utilizing generative design and lightweighting in the future. This is maybe not an impossible step for manufacturing as a whole, but a great story for additive manufacturing, which is still just at the tip of the iceberg.

Back