What's new
What's new

ZCorp Zprinter 310

diyengineer253

Hot Rolled
Hello, Wondering if anyone else has one of these in their shop? Picked one up for a good deal. I have a sub 2K FDM printer as well that does a great job, but wanted something more commercial for higher end jobs. 3D systems purchased them in 2012 I believe. Anyways, let me know if you utilize one.

I have one. The problem is the price of the consumables. I would like to use mine for making sand casting molds but they don't sell Zcast anymore. Even if they did I'm sure the price would be outrageous as the other consumables. The other thing to note is the HP 10 printhead is out of production although you can still get them on ebay.

Have you had any luck with yours?

I have one and have not used it in nearly two years. Remarkably good parts but materials are absurdly expensive and if you reuse the power from the overflow bin and vacuum the quality quickly degrades. If you have any more questions PM me, there is much to learn the operators manual does not tell you.

We had one at my old job. It was usually used for parts needing color... worked very good for circuit card models. I'm not sure what higher end jobs you are thinking about but you won't be making any "real" parts from a ZCorp. The parts get infused with an infusion epoxy resin or CA glue once out of the machine to hold together. Like goldenfab said, they do have their place in the casting industry. Be warned, If you let the machine sit, the lines and printheads will clog.

I have one and have not used it in nearly two years. Remarkably good parts but materials are absurdly expensive and if you reuse the power from the overflow bin and vacuum the quality quickly degrades. If you have any more questions PM me, there is much to learn the operators manual does not tell you.

Agreed.

We had one at my old job. It was usually used for parts needing color... worked very good for circuit card models. I'm not sure what higher end jobs you are thinking about but you won't be making any "real" parts from a ZCorp. The parts get infused with an infusion epoxy resin or CA glue once out of the machine to hold together. Like goldenfab said, they do have their place in the casting industry. Be warned, If you let the machine sit, the lines and printheads will clog.

Same experience here. While the surface quality is smoother than your hobby grade FDM printer the strength is inferior.

There is one sitting here at the shop... Its actually a customer's, but they don't seem to be in any hurry to get it back...

The print heads.. Hard to get, and when you do find them, they are old, and they clog quick... If they even work at all.

That Z-cast stuff, it was something like $600 for a 2 gallon bucket... Ridiculous.

There are all kinds of home brew recipes for different squirty liquids and powders.. None of them seem to work worth a shit..

If you dig around enough there is even somebody that had instructions for how to change over to a print head that is actually still
in production.. But it seemed like a pain in the ass...

One of these days I'm going to load it up on my truck and bring it back.. They can store it.. Overall I've found it to be pretty darn useless,
and troublesome.

If you dig around enough there is even somebody that had instructions for how to change over to a print head that is actually still
in production.. But it seemed like a pain in the ass...

This I am interested in but have have not been able to find anything on the topic. If you have any links please share.

You can make 100% of the consumables for the ZCorp Printers. We had a 510 Spectrum and made our own binder from bulk grocery items and used powders in bulk from a different application that also was dirt cheap.

We even went so far as to find out the main components of a popular casting powder and started buying the components for that in bulk. If you are willing to do some digging, running these machines can be extremely cheap, other than going through the print heads. Luckily those too can be sourced for cheap(er).

We have found having quality 3D scanning technology has been more helpful than the printer was. As others have mentioned, the Z-Corp powder printing is useful for a few types of printing, but the parts are far from actually useful for prototypes.

Regards,

Dave @ NervIndustries

You can make 100% of the consumables for the ZCorp Printers. We had a 510 Spectrum and made our own binder from bulk grocery items and used powders in bulk from a different application that also was dirt cheap.

We even went so far as to find out the main components of a popular casting powder and started buying the components for that in bulk. If you are willing to do some digging, running these machines can be extremely cheap, other than going through the print heads. Luckily those too can be sourced for cheap(er).

We have found having quality 3D scanning technology has been more helpful than the printer was. As others have mentioned, the Z-Corp powder printing is useful for a few types of printing, but the parts are far from actually useful for prototypes.

Regards,

Dave @ NervIndustries

Hi Dave,

I have tried all types of plasters with disappointing results.
Do you have any recipes you can recommend?

Thanks
Adam

Hello Forum,

I am adding this thread in August 2020. Looking for people who are still using their ZCorp 3D printers. I have a 450 I am trying to get working. Would like to hear from others who have either repaired one in the past or are using one, right now in 2020. Thank you. Cismontguy

Back