What's new
What's new

Sad to see...Penton Pub mags shrinking in page count

Actually, DK, it's more a sign of vast changes in the publishing industry. The truth about magazine size is that it's NOT driven by the amount of activity going on in the market that it serves -- i.e. manufacturing activity.
It's driven by the amount of advertising purchased by the people who want to reach the readers of the magazines.
A few things have happened in the days since American Machinist and Welding, as 2 examples, were routinely much fatter than they are today.
1) Reduced barriers to entry: Once upon a time, American Machinist was the only publication serving its market. More recently, it was one of a small handful. Today it is one of at least 25. More magazines -- to use a tired metaphor -- means cutting the same pie into thinner slices.
2) Increased productivity: By at least one very important and legitimate measure -- output -- manufacturing is growing in both absolute dollars and as a percentage of the U.S. economy. However, it's doing so in large part because of productivity-boosting technology, which in turn -- as we all know -- has vastly reduced the number of people needed in the manufacturing sector. Fewer manufacturing employees means fewer people to receive MORE magazines. That makes it harder for advertisers to choose -- seemingly reinforcing their decision to spread marketing dollars across the wide range of specialty magazines.
3) The internet: Back in the day when magazines were fat, rich and happy, they represented the ONLY way that a marketer could reliably reach a large number of targeted prospects. Today, the internet provides all sorts of other ways to do that, such as webcasts and company websites and portal websites and Search Engine Optimization, etc. And marketers feel -- rightly in some cases and (I believe) not so in others -- that these methods are more justifiable than magazine advertising, because they deliver hard data about the impact of the marketing effort.

While marketing options have increased, I can assure you that marketing budgets have NOT. As a result, the same amount of marketing money -- already being spread among more magazines -- is also being spread among more marketing vehicles OTHER than magazine ads.
In the days you remember of fat magazines, our single largest competitor didn't even exist: Google.

Publishing is a difficult industry right now because of all these changes. And no publisher has yet really figured it out. We know our business models must change. Printing a magazine and mailing it is the single most costly activity that a publishing company can undertake; and it provides the infrastructure that makes all other business opportunities (such as this forum site) work. And yet, it's the thing we do that our advertisers LEAST want to pay for; it delivers much lower ROI for us than it once did.

So we change -- sometimes on a daily basis. I'm not whining about it, and I feel that American Machinist and Welding are farther along on the curve than most of our direct competitors. But that doesn't mean we've got it all figured out, either.

What it does mean is that your observation, while correct, doesn't necessarily reflect on the health of manufacturing or the magazines. American Machinist is as healthy as its been in years. So is the manufacturing sector. It's just that the picture of health in both these industries has changed.

There's nothing better than sitting down and reading something you can wrap your hands around.:reading: I can't stand trying to read online "publications".:ack2:

My two pennies, whether it makes financial sense or not.

Great response AM.

"There's nothing better than sitting down and reading something you can wrap your hands around"

What I want is what you just said, except after a month or two it just goes "poof" into an electronic format. Buying several versions, and now BlueRay, doesn't turn my crank, but neither do all the boxes of mags I "can't" throw out.

I couldn't agree more: Digital/online magazines are simply not the same experience as the real thing. And as much time as I spend on my computer, I've never been able to enjoy using it for actual reading.

But the market drives these decisions for us and you can trust me: you'll only hear more about the advantages of digital magazines in the months and years ahead, because all publishers really NEED people to read online.

Before too long they'll have digital paper.
A flexible monitor similar to a 'magazine' we can all curl up in the easy chair with...;)

dk
That's a good one. You about made me spew my coffee all over my unmagazine like monitor.;)

I get monthly and quarterly newsletters from the local or national arms of the American Society for Quality. I can honestly say that I've printed about 3 of these over the past 3 years so I can read them, otherwise they sit in my "in box" and eventually get deleted. I just can't get myself to sit zombie like in front of the computer any more than I have to to make a living.

Quite frankly Machine Design has become a shadow of its former self. It is now mostly ads and white papers.

There is almost zero new engineering content. With it being still fairly thick and full of ads it is worthless as an electronic magazine because it takes too long to flip through the pages.

Chris P

You can't roll up a monitor, put it in your pocket, and go to the
mens room with it.
Old Bill
That men's room doesn't have a cresent moon on the side of it, does it? Does Sears still put out a catalogue?

Quite frankly Machine Design has become a shadow of its former self. It is now mostly ads and white papers.

There is almost zero new engineering content. With it being still fairly thick and full of ads it is worthless as an electronic magazine because it takes too long to flip through the pages.

My wife wonders how I can read one of my mags so quickly, and this is the perfect answer. 85% ads and 15% actual content. (BTW, my own study indicates that 92.3625% of all statistics are made up on the spot.;))

You can't roll up a monitor, put it in your pocket, and go to the
mens room with it.

Time for old Bill to learn some new tricks.....

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/09/22/Roll_up_monitor/

http://www.naturalnews.com/015596.html

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=5142

BTW, my own study indicates that 92.3625% of all statistics are made up on the spot
Overly generous......I came up with 92.3619% .....but I didn't spend much time doing the research.....more like 'on the spot'...

Dkmc,
In great amazement I stand corrected. I was just making a wisecrack. I am a digitally
chalanged old crank and I struggle with the rapid advancement of everything. I guess that is why I love my old wooden chess set so. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Bill

Before too long they'll have digital paper.
A flexible monitor similar to a 'magazine' we can all curl up in the easy chair with...;)

dk

Yeah, and maybe we can even roll it up and put it in our back pocket. I do that so I have it available during long runs.:)

It seems a little odd reading these comments, and I agree with most, while we are sitting at our computers participating in this forum.

Walter A

Some of us don't work the day shift.

It seems a little odd reading these comments, and I agree with most, while we are sitting at our computers participating in this forum.

Walter A

I work second shift so I have the opportunity to participate in the mornings and the later evenings. Not everyone does this on the companies time.

After all there is approx. 66.6% of your life that you can use as you please. Were you at work when you posted your comment?:cheers:

Last edited:
Walter, I think there's a big difference between a forum and an online magazine. A forum, IMHO, is an ongoing dialogue between the members whereas online publications are static information.

I for instance, am self-employeed with no employees, so the forum fulfills my need for interaction with people of like mind.

Last edited:

Back