What's new
What's new

0t---1943 American Pacemaker----Wikipedia goof?

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
so I am chasing history of 3 dimensional barrel cams--Wikipedia is of course referenced

and Wiki article on cams has photo reference of American Pacemaker lathe cross feed
assembly with extracted cylindrical element labeled constant lead barrel cam---
and in my opinion--this construct does not qualify as a barrel cam mechanism

in fact, American Tool Works product literature--1943--provides detailed focus on the mechanism--
referring to it as "micrometer ball stop"

as a gearhead--I find a degree of satisfaction in Wiki reference to Pacemaker class tools--but
using the rapid retract/advance mechanism with single fixed ball in constant pitch ground screw
is inappropriate- a multitude of more appropriate barrel cam examples are available

Attachments

• ap7.JPG
    ap7.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 124
  • ap4.JPG
    ap4.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 108
  • ap3.JPG
    ap3.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 105
  • ap5.JPG
    ap5.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 99
  • ap6.JPG
    ap6.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 93
Many thanks for putting the great pacemaker pictures on here.Where I worked, one of those greeted you as you entered the machine shop.I think it was a 20",but that's 50 years ago.A great memory brought back.

I have owned quite a few lathes with that type of stop on the cross feed screw. Primarily it's intended for threading so that the tool can be removed, carriage returned to start, cross feed turned to stop, additional depth of cut with the compound. But it can be used as a stop for repetitive turning.

Back