Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 0t--largest machine shop west of Mississippi

2. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny, I have a baby Hamilton High Speed drill press out of Mare Island, plus a few chunks of HY-130 hull plate. The latter is TOUGH steel that machines to a nice finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My understanding is that over the years they have cut so far into infrastructure that they are having problems getting overhaul and new ship construction done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

J.Holland ,
    Thanks for sharing the link.
    There are several volumes of Pacific Marine Review that may have news about Mare Island .
    They are not dated in this search link but like most on archive.org they may be before 1930 .
    Internet Archive Search: creator:"Pacific American Steamship Association"[]=year%3A%22-1%22
    This one I picked at random for a trial turns out to be from 1926 and has several hits for Mare.
    Pacific marine review : Pacific American Steamship Association : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    I don't know what else might turn up if you explore some more.
    I have shared links from these magazines in other threads.
    They may also be available on the Hathi Trust Library where search by date may be easier.
    Jim

6. Likes JHOLLAND1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for posting that. It's a very long video and I didn't watch until the end but interesting, none the less. My wife's uncle worked at Mare Island for many years as a 'lofter'. I have a 3" thick off-cut from the hull plate of a submarine that he gave to me. I have no idea of the composition of the material but you can see the slight radius in it where is was rolled into the cigar shape of the hull. The machine required to roll that had to be immense.

Stuart

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's all gone now. Local scrap yard pulled so much scrap out of there that they leased land from the city of Vallejo and opened a 2nd yard there. My 16" DoAll saw came out of there. High school friend of mine was a welder there and changed careers when he was 40 and became a printer. I ask him why, and he said he was tired of laying inside the hulls of submarines all day every day.