What's new
What's new

0t-----the machinist mate and the blockbuster

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
truth has a long fuse---in the circumstance of this thread--54 years

1966--release of film--Sand Pebbles--my recall of viewing is linked with steam engine drama

the author of the novel Sand Pebbles--Richard McKenna--served USN 22years as machinist mate

the motion picture ship was powered by Cummins diesel--not steam

the rest of the story-----

Sand Pebbles Steam Engine History and Demonstration - YouTube

Attachments

• 876.JPG
    876.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 92
  • -0997.JPG
    -0997.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 987yui.JPG
    987yui.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 765765.JPG
    765765.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 105
Seems to be running on air as it is currently. He is using the main throttle valve (although he does flip "something" prior to moving the valve.)

Maybe a "soft start" reversible motor?

There is absolutely something "unmistakable" about an engine room under steam. The odor certainly, the humidity possibly.

Glad that it was saved. We have spoken earlier on the tugboat which was installed as "visitor attraction" at the mainland side of the Bourne Bridge in Buzzards Bay, MA. Joe Michaels filled us in on the unfortunate fate of that engine/tug.

Almost all machinery - "built by the low bidder - removed by the low bidder."

While here with us the machinery represents MUCH more than that.

Joe in NH

The real gunboat was Spanish, built in Hong Kong for the Spanish Navy in the Philippines. There were several new gunboats there that were incorporated into the Navy after the war. It's unlikely that this US Naval vessel was ever in the United States. Those that didn't continue on in the Philippines went to China. At some point I edited a book that discussed them but, for the life of me, I can't remember which one it was.

The Triple expansion is turned by an electric motor on the Lane Victory. They did a nice job cleaning it up and polishing the bright work. I saw the engine back in the 1980's in Ed Paxton's yard in San Diego. Ed had a couple of slightly smaller compound marine engines that have disappeared since Ed's passing. Hope they still survive somewhere.

Ed was fundamental in restoring the engine room of the ex San Francisco ferry "Berkeley" which resides in San Diego at the maritime museum. It has a 1800 HP triple expansion built in San Francisco by the Union Works in 1899. The engine is turned slowly via a hydraulic motor and chain drive. There website is worth a look. Sorry to hijack the thread.

Back