What's new
What's new

113 Year Old Machine Shop

TDegenhart

Diamond
Abom79 takes a tour of 113 year old machine shop. Old machines of course and some for sale, but the mess is unbelievable.

YouTube

"While in Georgia we visited a very old machine shop and the owner let me take some video while I was there. I was converted from a blacksmith shop from 1903-1905 into a machine shop and some of the original beams from the line shaft are still in place. The Niles vertical turret lathe was installed new in 1905 and it even has the the original documentation. This machine is for sale by the owner. I you are interested in it or one of the old lathes send me and email and put you in contact with the shop owner. It was interesting walking through this old shop, just thinking about all the work it has seen over the past 100 years.
If you have interest in one of the machines for sale send me an email and I’ll put you in contact with the shop owner. [email protected]"

Tom

I have seen much worse. years ago my ex was helping me with an appraisal in a similar shop, we were climbing over snow drifts in the shop and she asked how long the place had been abandoned, and I answered, they are still in business, the guys just went home! these conditions and machine ages were not unusual 25 years ago, I saw lots of 100 year old machines still in use. today it would be very unusual to see a complete shop like this. but I bet there are lots of isolated 100 year old machines still in use, ie very large or unusual ones.

Three weeks ago I was in a shop that makes that place look like a prairie. You literally had to squeeze between piles of stuff to get from one end to the other - although I'm not sure it was actually possible to get to the back of the shop. It was the third time I'd been in there and the first time I noticed the Reed-Prentice geared head lathe lathe right next to the entrance.

We had a place kind of like it in town, when I was a kid.........building was closed in better. Only took him @ 20 yrs to get that junky.

Yaw haven't been to my place!!!:D

I can remember when I was in diapers, dad taking up to his work place, a old machine shop, and is still in business today. It wasn't too junky, but dad wouldn't let us touch a thing, we always went home with grease and crud all over our Sunday best and mom giving dad an ass eating over it. Ken

I'd be willing to help clean if I could ask what everything is as I pick it up. I could learn new things until they were coming back out the other ear in a place like that

Back