What's new
What's new

#12-20 threaded rod

Royldean

Stainless
Anybody know of a source to buy this? A friend is refurbing a bunch of old planes, and apparently the handles are attached with this oddball thread. He'd like to source a length of it and then cut it down to size as needed. Otherwise he'll just turn his own, if he can't source it. Thanks.

Stanley still sells the "Handle Screw" - sort of. Currently out of stock. Stanley Tools Service Parts When present it lists for $1.95.

Funny - they seem to have plenty of screws available for "kits" - see Stanley Tools Service Parts

Highland Hardware sells their version - Rosewood Plane Handle Set Replacement Rear Handle Screw | Hand Plane Parts for $7.99 plus shipping.

Bob Kaune sells his version STANLEY BASIC PLANE PARTS Part No. 13 - $8.95

Discussion of tote screws and threads at tote screws. It would seem some newer Stanley planes have 12-24 (standard UNC), and the older 12-20. (Stanley Proprietary)

Given that original Stanley handle bolts are not threaded the entire distance, your best (most cost effective) bet would likely be Larry's suggestion. UNS (Special thread) dies are available VERY cheaply from overseas on Ebay. Drill rod would be the best material - try to stay away from Big Box Store plain rod. McMaster will tell you EXACTLY what you're buying.

Joe in NH

Have you checked McMaster Carr? Or just get a piece of steel rod the right dia. (from MMC probably,) and cut a thread on the each end of the right length pieces you cut off of it. Only a few minutes on a lathe after you are set up and do the first one.

+1 on Larry's method. Brass rod will probably have to be turned to size first. I didn't find any brass rod in the right diameter. If I had a lot to do I would st up a box tool or hollow mill on the toolpost and turn down a 3'length to size. Then set up the die in the toolpost, set the feed gears to 20 tpi and thread the whole length.

I’m trying to make a 12-20 tap from 1/4” O-1 drill rod. I’m looking for the dimensions and no luck so far. Just for info I found a 1914 Machinery’s Handbook on Google Books. Nope. Not there either. Just 12-24 and 12-28. Lots of recommendations on using lard oil for threading but no 12-20 screw threads.
I have a plane with a stripped 12-20 screw hole. I plan to drill it out and tap to 1/4-20 and then tap a 1/4-20 bolt to 12-20 and cut it off to fill the hole in the plane. This is to use. I’m not trying to hide the repair although it won’t show.

To make an appropriate tap, you need the cutting edges appropriately relieved so the edge can bite into the material. You need specialized tooling to do this—either a lathe with relieving attachment for an unhardened workpiece or a grinder that can relieve threads. Otherwise the tap will not be much better than taking a hardened 12-20 bolt and cutting some grooves in it. It is a non-trivial task.

If you wish to investigate further, you need to find some specialized books on cutting tool making. They are out there, and a good read.

(Yes, I am aware that 12-20 is basically a proprietary size that you cannot easily find—-that was kind of Stanley’s point. You have to decide whether keeping the hole original is worth the cost of special ordering a custom tap)

#12-20 Special Pitch Plug Tap, High Speed Steel

Real tap. $10.50, get it in a couple days...

[Edit] Whoops, says their out of stock.

There's this place: 12-20 Tap at Wholesale Tool

which says they have 12-20's, but their website seems to have been designed by a cow with dysentery. Call on Monday to get a sales-sheep to help you out.

I have been to the Warren, MI WT store many times and spent lots of money there, but not for years now. Fun place to shop. And they are open on Saturday morning. It is silly to make a tap when they will sell you one that is probably well made out of proper HSS.

Wholesale Tool East
12155 Stephens Road
Warren, Michigan 48089

1-800-521-3420 (Customer Service)
1-800-521-3661 (Toll-free fax)

Weekdays: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Eastern)
Saturday: 8 a.m. - noon (Eastern)
Sunday: Closed

Back