What's new
What's new

12" Hendey crank shaper vise?

74VDC

Plastic
Anyone know where I can get a vise for a Hendey 12" crank shaper vise, shaper was purchased in 1949. If you have any ideas please do not hesitate to enlighten me.

Finding the original vise for your lathe will probably be very tough. I would guess it has jaws 8" wide approx. There is a regular serving of shaper vises on EBay decribed as vises for milling and drilling. Occasionally a shaper vise is described as such, a shaper vise.

Unfortunately the vise I have for a Hendey 12" shaper is securely mounted to mine! I will keep my eyes open in case one should surface around here. I am looking for the dims. for the splined wrench to loosen the tool slide so it can be set on an angle.
Terry

Perhaps you need a "Bristol" Splined Wrench ?

BellIndustries:

If the receptacle for the wrench is "female", then perhaps what you are seeking is a Bristol Wrench. www.bristolwrench.com

Bristol wrenches were quite common at one time - I've seen WWII surplus items that used Bristol screws, so it must have been sufficiently standard to be acceptable as "Mil-Spec" in those days.

John Ruth

Bellindustries,
I was lucky enough to find one of those wrenches for my Hendey on ebay. It looks more like a bevel gear on the end than a spline. I'll try and get a picture of it in the next couple days and email it to you.
Cheers,
Chris

This vise is for a shaper that belongs to a friend of mine. If I cannot locate the original is there another vise that would be adequately sufficient? If it properly fits into the table "T" slots does that mean it will work well? Is there anything in particular that I should pay attention to when considering a vise other than the original?
Plaza machinery has a vise he thinks may work and I'm going to send him a drawing with dimensions of the table with slot centers to see if it will fit. What would be a reasonable price for a good heavy duty USA made vise?
Obviously, I'm not a machinist, nor do I have any background in these type of machines. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sure would be neat to have the genuine article.

Unfortunately the vise I have for a Hendey 12" shaper is securely mounted to mine! I will keep my eyes open in case one should surface around here. I am looking for the dims. for the splined wrench to loosen the tool slide so it can be set on an angle.
Terry

Would it be possible for you to upload a photo of your vise? Do you by any chance have any literature like a operators manual? I downloaded and printed the brochure that is available at this site....he seemed to like that. Hendeyman emailed me the purchase history of it as well...unbeleivable that someone still had that. This is a good site...alot of helpful folks here.

74VDC I will snap a couple of pictures today and post them. The vise I have I believe came with the machine. The jaws are 10" wide I can't rember if it is keyed to the table or not but I will pop it off and get some snaps of all sides,top and bottom ect. And yes it is more of a bevel gear form,similar in taper to the gears that mesh to the backside of the scroll on a lathe chuck.
Terry

Lets try a little photo upload no promises this will work(I've had bad luck with photos from the shop computer but here goes!

DSCN0258.jpg

DSCN0259.jpg

DSCN0260.jpg

DSCN0261.jpg

That should do it (fingers crossed:) )
I'm having trouble resizing so you have to scroll sorry!
Hope this helps the search!!
Terry

74VDC:

Now that Bellindustries has posted the pictures of the vice, a few dimensions might be
in order. The jaw width is 10 inches, the jaw height is 2-1/4 inches and the jaw opening is 10-1/2 inches. The height from the base to the top of the jaw is 5-3/4 inches and the
weight is 100 lbs. What is not mentioned in the literature is that a special extension
jaw vice was available on special order. The jaw opening and jaw height were the same,
but the jaw width was increased to 12-3/4 inches. I would have to do some research
to determine the weight of this vice.

There were several other items available for the 12 inch shaper that did not appear in
the literature or price list. They were the tool lifter, a pair of shaper centers and, my
favorite, a jib crane with a 1/2 ton trolley.

The pinion wrench that you are talking about is just that a pinion cut into the shaft
of a TEE wrench. If you want to make one I can send you the dimensions.

The operating instructions, foundation plans and lubrication chart are all on one sheet.
It took me several years to figure out that there wasn't a separate instruction book,
only a separate parts list. Send me your mailing address and I will send you a copy.

Hendeyman

Hendeyman, The dimensions for the tee wrench would be mighty handy, if you could send them that would be great. Sorry I forgot to give the dims to go with the pictures. You have saved the day, and thanks for picking up the ball I dropped.
Terry

Bellindustries...thank you so much for posting the pics...I'm serious man...I really appreciate it. Thank you thank you!

Hendeyman...my buddy mentioned something else he needed, but I forget what it was now...a tool holder maybe? I'll check with him tommorrow and then mail you, and at the same time send my mailing address. I couldn't possibly thank you enough for all your help.

I would have never guessed the vise would be that big, or that heavy. Somehow I envisioned this thing being about half the size pictured and weighing maybe 40 lbs. tops. Glad I checked here with you guys.

I'll start scanning around ebay and the like to find one, or one similiar. I'll keep checking back here daily to see if anyone comes across one by some slim chance.

J.A. Keiling Cumberland, Maryland

Shaper vise

Anyone know where I can get a vise for a Hendey 12" crank shaper vise, shaper was purchased in 1949. If you have any ideas please do not hesitate to enlighten me.

I am new to PM. I have a very large shaper vise I want to sell.
I have a Hendey lathe missing an important part. Trade? Please contact me if you are still looking for a vise. Paul

Back