What's new
What's new

14"Hendey V belt size

Froneck

Titanium
I have a 14" 18 speed Gear Head Hendey. Drive belts will need replacement soon! Anyone know what size V belts are used from the motor to the drive pulley. My machine has 1000RPM top speed. Would like to get them ordered before taking covers off to measure belt length and have the machine down. Seems to be about 5/8" wide so I guess a 5L belt will work but at what length?

Hendey V belt size - My 1937 geared head(metric) uses 4 pcs A belts. The book says either 5 B belts or 6 A belts. To be on the safe side I think you should remove covers to see what you've got - it's not that complicated. As to length I think that might vary pending on what motor you have.

Lars

Froneck:

Depending on the motor pulley size and the clutch pulley size, you have a number of belts to choose from. Here is the official Hendey list for the 12 and 18 speed, 14 inch Geared Head lathes.

Belts per machine Belt Number Belt dimensions

5 A80 "A" Section
5 A83 "
5 A85 "
5 A88 "
4 B81 "B" Section
4 B83 "
4 B85 "
4 B86,5 "
4 B88 "
4 B90 "
4 B93 "

Hendeyman

Thanks Hendeyman, I guess I'll have to measure the length needed. I agree John the BX belts are more flexible. About all I know about the motor is it's 1200RPM sync. speed probably 1170RMP on the name plate.

Up Date

I attached a length of plastic strapping to the Vee Belt with tape and rotated the pulley. I made sure the strapping didn't slip off with more tape every 18" or so. When the end came around I cut the strapping then removed it from the old belt. Measured the OD (88") ordered BX85 belts, should be here today. To get ready I thought removing the old belt will have everything ready when the new belts came. Yeah it's ready for the new belts but it's not as easy as described! Took me 2 hours just to get the old belts off without cutting them, I would have but wanted to be ready to replace them. Few more hours spent getting everything cleaned. Should be up and running later on today, might spend some time getting the covers ready for paint and get them painted before assembly. Less I have to later.

Back