What's new
What's new

14" Steptoe Western Shaper

Allegheny

Aluminum
I brought this beast home when I retired with the intention of continuing to use it. Didn't happen, so it's time to move it on and get it out of my garage to free up floor space. 5hp, 3 phase with auto-oiler and original vise. Some bits and pieces but not much else. It's currently on a pallet and I have a jack that can lift it, but I have no way to put it on even a low trailer - a wide ramp off the end of a beavertail and a winch would work just fine - that's how I got it in. I'm guessing it's a bit north of 4,000# as it takes serious effort to move it with the PJ.

Oh, the price? I'll trade it for whatever you have laying around that you don't want - NMTB50 tool holders, slitting saws, etc. If push comes to shove, I will give it to whoever shows up to take it away - I'm not going to ship it, that's for sure.

If you have any questions that the photos can't answer, fire away.

Located in Massachusetts midway between Boston and Providence. Easy access to I95 and about 2 miles north of Gillette Stadium off of US Rt 1. My driveway can accommodate trucks to about 28' or a large pickup with a 20' trailer, but not a full size semi (unless you park in the street and bring an all-terrain forklift with you (my driveway is gravel).

Please express any interest by posting in this thread - PMs through this board almost never reach me for some reason.

Cheers,

Brian20210104_162801_resized.jpg20210104_162733_resized.jpg20210104_162754_resized.jpg20210104_162815_resized.jpg20210104_162851_resized.jpg

I've been in touch with jbacc's friend and he will tentatively pick the old girl up this weekend. If it's still here come Monday morning, it will again be available FCFS.

That's on odd machine. It's apparently a 14" version of the Steptoe-Western 12X High Speed shaper, as opposed to the actual Steptoe ones. It has the same exact layout, even the gearbox on the motor (although it looks more integral on this one) and has a pressure oil system. Highest power option on the 12X was 2hp.

This old girl left for New Jersey and her new home a few hours ago.

Thanx to everyone who expressed interest and/or posted about her.

Dave Vincent, thanks for posting that. So the only real difference in a 12X and a 15X was 200lbs and another 3" of ram stroke? I'll have to go check the max stroke on mine carefully now.

Just watched a bit of a shaper video about a 16" Steptoe. Reminded me very much of a G & E from years ago. Looked to be and sounded like a well built machine.

JH

I have a 14" Steptoe shaper with gearbox mounted to the base of the machine and driven with three belts from a 5hp three phase GE motor....Mine is a back geared pressure lubed unit... The motor on the shaper shown looks like a Lima gear motor that so many old line shaft lathes were converted to... Nice looking unit... Wish mine had power down feed on the tool head.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Back