What's new
What's new

16" Hendey Conehead Reversing gears question.

tommy1010

Stainless
Putting a 16" conehead headstock back together. The question I have is: Are the reversing gears timed to one another? As you can see in the pics I installed them with the single cogs lined up. I am pretty sure that is the way I removed them. But I could be wrong. The sliding reverser has the cogs 180 degrees out as shown in the pics. There are no timing marks on any of the gears. Maybe too early for such a thing. Does it matter? If I got them wrong I can easily change the arrangement now before I move along. Don't fret over the red paint. No one will see it. Just for rust prevention. Maybe Hendyman can shed some light here!!!

100_0984.jpg100_0987.jpg100_0985.jpg100_0986.jpg

The relationship (as in lead screw reverse) is determined by the single tooth features and clutch spool - no timing is required

Pat's shot does not show the second or left hand tooth - obviously they are not aligned

Attachments

• DSC02416.jpg
    DSC02416.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 56
Thanks John for the response. I will leave it right where it is. I went out and fiddled with it a bit and having the cogs lined up makes the cogs just like shown it the pic I found on the internet. When you turn the shaft 90 degrees the cogs are one up and one down 180 degrees apart. Another 90 degrees and they are lined up 180 degrees from where I lined them up. I realize the pic is for illustration purposes only as I cannot find any literature to support timing is needed. Seeing the photo John posted is proof that they do not need to be timed.

Screenshot from 2019-12-29 19-53-56.jpg

Another way to think about this - to the spool - which makes every thing downstream from it work - the TOOTH is a moving target - it just sits there and waits until the tooth arrives, then it, and all its ancillary / downstream items takes off - and if spindle speed is too high it makes a hell of a BANG - especially if you are in like 4 TPI

The adjacent tooth and bevel just sit there hoping by and by they get to do something:D

Timing totally meaningless to such a wait-your-turn type rig

Anyone notice Hendey's very clever COAXIAL shafting? A shaft thru a shaft makes this design possible

Back