What's new
What's new

16" Hendey tailstock question?

tommy1010

Stainless
I have a 16" Hendey Tiebar undergoing a cleanup and repaint. My question is: What is the little set screw in the tailstock spindle for? It has a tapered end on a 5/16" set screw. Spraying oil in the hole after removal does nothing but fill it up. The screw was in below the surface of the rear of spindle but since I removed it it won't go completely in??? Any ideas?? Two pics for better visual.

100_1061.jpg100_1062.jpg

Its a "dutchman" holding in a replacement threaded portion

Didn't think anybody used that term anymore.:cool: [I am surrounded by Dutch farmer immigrants or their offspring now since the originals have since passed.] Around here now the term would mean WELDED in, most always with a stick.:ack2:

Thanks John. I was thinking some kind of takeup for wear. Now I know. As far as the term "Dutchman" goes I haven't heard that since I left the coal mines years ago.

Thanks John. I was thinking some kind of takeup for wear. Now I know. As far as the term "Dutchman" goes I haven't heard that since I left the coal mines years ago.

Your decent photo appears to show an extra "circle" about there - the OD of the "fix" that was inserted - otherwise I'd just be guessing

Back