What's new
What's new

16" Hendy Progress Pics

tommy1010

Stainless
Here are couple of quick pics of the progress I have made since we cannot go anywhere. The one shows the QCGB reassembled with the lead screw cut off and has the coupling on the lead screw. The other is the three position gear box that bolts to the QCGB. The other two are the half nuts. They are not the largest I have seen but they are pretty big. Hendey owners may know this already but the half nuts are cast into the cast iron body. If you look close you can see where the metal shows through the non threaded side as a lighter grey/silver color. It is not soft by any means. Maybe someone here knows what alloy it is.

100_1047.jpg100_1048.jpg100_1049.jpg100_1050.jpg

my gut feeling is its probably like a number 3 babbitt alloy. someone here can probably confirm. I will probably use that alloy or similar to repour mine if it is ever necessary. Did you make the gears in the compound? they look REALLY nice.

We use to call it farmers Babbitt, high in zinc and antimony , no tin, copper, nickel, just white and hard, I didn't like the stuff much, it was kindly like zinc-alloy that was sold as a brass bearing stock...Phil

Back