What's new
What's new

16" Lodge & Shipely available at HGR

Froneck

Titanium
16" L&S listed as 19" X 100" is listed last chance at HGR SN #39022 is 1947 vintage. Item # 1119-120-0001 asking price is $698 but I'm thinking an offer of $600 will be accepted. Has 3 jaw Chuck and taper attachment but no steady rest. Ways look good in the photos, not sure if it has hard ways. I talk to Marshall Michaels when I call HGR

Probably hasn't been a SL-4 built since the mid-late 1980's. They are solid. I've been around them but never run one. Repair parts on the older Mori's are hit and miss. Don't recognize the control on the machine. For the price, might be a worth it. The chip conveyor is missing. No chuck, but doesn't look like it has been run hard. IMO.

That old Lodge & Shipley is a Model A , has L-2 spindle nose definitly Timken bearings. That tail stock doesn't look like a Lodge, probably wrong. Ways look decent, just filthy, needs a good bath!

EDIT: Just talked to my brother about the Mori, he said repair parts are readily available for this old of a machine. The electrics, good luck if it's a Yasnac controller. If it's a Fanuc, may have better luck, hard to say. He said a lot of these machines were retrofitted with newer controllers and stepper motors over the years. Hard to say about this one. BTY, my brother works for DMG-Mori in Houston.

EDIT Again: My brother said the control is original and it is a Yaznak controller. That's why it $1400!!! He did indicate it was in nice shape for as old as it was. If you have the time and some money, a retrofit would be perfect for this machine. And I forgot to ask him what kind of capacity this machine has. My guess would be around 20" inches of swing, or a little more and probably around 32-40" between centers. Ken

16" L&S listed as 19" X 100" is listed last chance at HGR SN #39022 is 1947 vintage. Item # 1119-120-0001 asking price is $698 but I'm thinking an offer of $600 will be accepted. Has 3 jaw Chuck and taper attachment but no steady rest. Ways look good in the photos, not sure if it has hard ways. I talk to Marshall Michaels when I call HGR

In future, when posting listings like this please include photographs, they aid in the historical record. The thread is otherwise useless for reference later. This is discussed in the "Guidelines" thread

Guidelines (please see new rule regarding Craigslist/Ebay/equiv posts)

Thanks,

mod

16 X 100 L&S.JPG
As requested here is a photo of the machine. I look close at the TailStock and think it's original. I have the newer Model X. it is somewhat different in that it is squarish. The outline is the same and location of the clamping bolts are identical. Mine also has a quick lock lever in the rear. At any rate I think this tailstock did come with the machine.

John; Not sure if you posted a photo, I have a little blue stamp in my window but will not open. There was some thoughts as t if the TailStock was for the Model A L&S lathe. Not having the Model A I compared it to my Model X and it seems to be similar. Can you confirm if it is the correct TailStock?

John; Not sure if you posted a photo, I have a little blue stamp in my window but will not open. There was some thoughts as t if the TailStock was for the Model A L&S lathe. Not having the Model A I compared it to my Model X and it seems to be similar. Can you confirm if it is the correct TailStock?

Went and looked at $698 photos - looks like the Model A in my Pub 54-OP-847 (Aug 1947)

Model X quite similar but not the same. Would not interchange since the bed ways are DIFFERENT between Model A and Model X

As you can see on your Model X the TS rear "vee" way is but HALF a vee. Not like that on the Model A

ON EDIT - add scans of Model A from January 1937 and Model X / G from June 1946

Model A Bed ways.jpgModel X Bed Ways.jpg

I suppose its possible the Model A was revised to be more like Model X - but I have zero data to back up any such assumption

John I'm not interested in the L&S 16" Model A, I have the X with long centers. Would be if I didn't have the X. I do have the TailStock and it does have the 1/2V, during another sale at HGR I did get another TailStock for my X (I think) it too has the 1/2V and same height. It was cheap so why not buy it! (didn't pick it up yet)
Post #5 mentions the TailStock might not be an L&S, I can't be sure but it fits the full V and somewhat resembles my X TailStock in outward appearance though the Vee is not the same but it fits the Vee on the bed so I'm thinking it is the original. Seems to me this lathe is a good deal for someone needing long centers and why I posted it. Lots of other lathes and machines but I didn't see any that were great deals. Can you determine if it is the L&S TailStock.

To repeat:

I am referring to the TS

Went and looked at $698 photos - looks like the Model A in my Pub 54-OP-847 (Aug 1947

John I'm not interested in the L&S 16" Model A, I have the X with long centers. Would be if I didn't have the X. I do have the TailStock and it does have the 1/2V, during another sale at HGR I did get another TailStock for my X (I think) it too has the 1/2V and same height. It was cheap so why not buy it! (didn't pick it up yet)
Post #5 mentions the TailStock might not be an L&S, I can't be sure but it fits the full V and somewhat resembles my X TailStock in outward appearance though the Vee is not the same but it fits the Vee on the bed so I'm thinking it is the original. Seems to me this lathe is a good deal for someone needing long centers and why I posted it. Lots of other lathes and machines but I didn't see any that were great deals. Can you determine if it is the L&S TailStock.

That old Lodge & Shipley is a Model A , has L-2 spindle nose definitly Timken bearings. That tail stock doesn't look like a Lodge, probably wrong. Ways look decent, just filthy, needs a good bath!
Ken

Not an L 2 for sure. HGR sent me a photo of the nut with a tape measure next to it. the nut OD is 6" L2 has a 7 3/4" thread. My LeBlond has a L1 It has a 6" dia. thread. It is an L0 for sure. I need a chuck with a L1, I was hoping it was an L1, if it was going to scrap I was going to try to buy the chuck.

While you folks are pronouncing this and that :D, the pub mentioned above says L1 for all the Model A (12, 14 and 16"). This is as of August 1947.

First L2 appears on the 18" Model X - the first of the larger / heavier Model X

The "standard" Model X, like Ken and I shared had an L1 because it was a "medium duty" 20" - flatly based on the small series Model X

While you folks are pronouncing this and that :D, the pub mentioned above says L1 for all the Model A (12, 14 and 16"). This is as of August 1947.

First L2 appears on the 18" Model X - the first of the larger / heavier Model X

The "standard" Model X, like Ken and I shared had an L1 because it was a "medium duty" 20" - flatly based on the small series Model X

Provide me your email address, I will forward the photo of the chuck nut and tape measure. Your pub is wrong, some must have been shipped with an L0. The nut OD is clearly just under 6" You know the L1 thread diameter is 6" Obviously the nut OD has to be bigger than the thread diameter. It is an L0.

Back