What's new
What's new

16" x 7' Hendey cone head basket case for sale in SW WA. Motivated seller.

lapoole

Plastic
Looks to be fairly complete. Careful restoration started but most work remains to be done. I've not seen it myself in person, and am just posting for the seller, who welcomes your direct contact:
Ken Weatherl
360 957-5118
[email protected]

Unless he is in a machinery desert, the price sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.

The only good news is that, being completely apart, it is easier to move. The very bad news is that you don't know if all the parts are there and how they get back together.

$500 is a fair/high price for a tiebar in decent condition, working, under power.

Paolo

A COMPLETE 16x7 conehead lathe here is easily that price IF you can find one. Most trade for double that.

I'm in a different area, but paid $300 for my 1909 gear-head Hendey. It was in one piece and complete but heavily worn in places. There was also an incomplete 9" South Bend with it that I sold for $200 after adding some bits to make it a better project for someone. The key was that it was local, I was able to take on another project, and I had my heart set on getting an old Hendey.

IMO, If it's not worn out and your price is on par with other available lathes in your area, I think I'd only buy it if the owner was willing to keep in touch and offer advise to finish what was started, and pass on any missing pieces that might turn up. Sometimes that willingness to keep the relationship open post-transaction is enough to put buyers concerns at ease.

On the bright side, it looks like it has the overhead cone pulley, which all to often is missing on lathes this old.

Owner/Seller checking in

Allen thank you for posting this for me. I had forgotten I am a member here. I would be happy to answer any questions. I also have hundreds of photos of every piece from when I did the parts inventory. The only missing parts are the two gibb strips for the taper attachment and 1 machine screw for the lower right reversing rod bracket. The PO had located the gibb strips but by the time I got ready to get them they had been misplaced, I am hopeful he will locate them again.

Last edited:
Bed ways dimensions?

Ken my late 30s 12x30 swings 14.5" over the carriage; I'm told it's an "extended swing" version that was made in limited numbers, and I've not found any detailed info about it online yet. I don't know what dimensions it shares in common with the regular 12" or with the larger models.

Below is a measured photo of my bed's upper ways. Is your 16" bed larger, or might your steady rest, tailstock, etc. fit my bed?

IMG_3898.jpg

I’ll get some measurements for you tonight, there is a sale/trade pending.

Ken my late 30s 12x30 swings 14.5" over the carriage; I'm told it's an "extended swing" version that was made in limited numbers, and I've not found any detailed info about it online yet. I don't know what dimensions it shares in common with the regular 12" or with the larger models.

Below is a measured photo of my bed's upper ways. Is your 16" bed larger, or might your steady rest, tailstock, etc. fit my bed?

View attachment 293639

View attachment 293639
Not even close, sorry
50674362-AA5D-44EC-A1C2-7B6BA550025E.jpgE9267A7F-D1F4-4F1B-9665-43132DE89918.jpgB5DFD2B4-E935-4198-BD90-861864CFBCA9.jpg

Back