Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very interesting picture.
    I never knew why dividing head tailstocks were able to angle the center.
    Now I know. Thanks for the machining info. I learned something here.

--Doozer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 270570d1574342757-1905-bullard-vbm-clutch-question-bullard-pinion-gear-5.jpg  

2. Likes Custommachining liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sent you a email with 3 pictures let me know if you get it
    I can send you more pictures if you want. Or if you want anything special just email me back

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Progress pictures

I wanted to post progress pictures. Lower drive shaft, pulley and pinion gear were assembled back onto the machine as mock up only. The mock up is for discovery of bronze bearing lengths since the integrity of the originals were compromised.

I'm away from my desk top computer, therefore, the pictures can't be manipulated to their proper upright position from my phone. If somebody could help me out with this it would be much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191124_150735.jpg   20191124_150749.jpg   20191124_150817.jpg   20191124_150801.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doozer,

I reference the practical treatise in Milling and Milling Machines book for ideas in set-up. For bevel gears, they picture a gear without footstock support. The pictured gear was placed on an expanding mandrel or collet system secured in the tapered spindle of the dividing head. I found the support of the footstock significantly reduces vibration while cutting. I decided to use the rotary table as a spacer that is keyed to the table. The footstock is keyed to the rotary table. I clamped the rotary table to the table to prevent the table from rotating during the cutting process. Although the rotary table has a brake, I didn't trust that it would prevent the table from rotating. I use white lead as a lubricant for the footstock spindle into gear mandrel.