UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1911 Hendey

I am in the process of acquiring a Hendey Tie bar 12x6

I have the history from Hendeyman and he has been very helpful. I thought I could use this thread to ask questions and share my experience with the process of getting this machine up and running.
    It is in better shape than my last few machine rebuilds however, it has been slightly parted out as well. I guess the hunt is part of the fun
    image1.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From Hendeyman,
    Hendey lathe No. 13152, a 12 x 6 Cone Head model, was scheduled for completion during mid-December 1911. It was shipped with an Oil Pan, a Taper Attachment
    and a set of No. 2 Metric Collets. The original owner was the General Electric Company, no city or state was listed. At a later date, it was owned by the Midwest
    Tool and Engineering Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. On November 9, 1944, Hendey completed rebuilding the lathe to the new standard that included Cabinet legs.

I will attempt to upload some pics. I would love the thumbnails to appear bigger in my post but I am having a little trouble. Thank you for your patience!image11.jpgimage1-16-.jpgimage2-13-.jpgimage3-13-.jpgimage4-8-.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few more phots that I have.
    The last one in this batch shows the parts that have been sold. It looks like I will be scrounging for some end covers and gears and the quick change gear levers. I should have bought this lathe 8 months ago when I had the chance and it was complete. Oh well, I have at least stopped the hemorrhaging! image5-5-.jpgimage8.jpgimage9.jpgimage10.jpgimage5-4-1-.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It does have the taper attachment and steady rest which is nice. In this photo, we see the flat bar that is part of the cabinet base. It had a machined flat on them, most likely for a drive system and what I have been told is from the factory. It is interesting. I wonder if any other hendey owners with cabinet bases have this feature.
    I would be interested to see how this is set up on a complete machine Attachment 266239

Post Thanks / Like

Legs came with the 1944 rebuild, the flat bar was a place to hang the motor for the neat Hendey drive system - that was composed of a rear cone pulley driven thru enclosed reduction gears by a flat belt coming up from the motor. This rear cone could "swing" to enable belt step changes

Thumbnails a few scans from I'll guess mid twenties. Long horizontal pole actuates tight and loose pulley biz so motor can run while spindle is stopped. Far lever tightens/loosens cone belt for speed changes

Not immediately apparent but note the input to this drive is BELOW rear cone center line - suggesting the reduction gearing was composed of a large internal gear on the rear cone driven by a small internal pinion on the input shaft

Thanks to the Stokley family that acquired this catalog from the Lehmann lathe files about forty years back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan-01.jpg   scan-02.jpg  

6. Likes Hudson liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

image1-16-.jpgimage2-13-.jpgimage3-13-.jpgimage4-8-.jpgimage11.jpg

A little bigger. I'm practicing making my pics larger. resized 150%

Missed one

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I got he lathe home. It was a fun rigging project getting it loaded, transported and unloaded with just 2 of us but we nailed it. It is going to clean up nicely. I spent a little time just cleaning. I plan on cleaning everything and piecing it back together because, although it is mostly all there, its and parts are were given to me in buckets and milk crates! Once I have the lathe cleaned and together. I will do a complete organized disassembly, and do the whole thing. Anyhow, I know that I am missing a few end covers and the latches and a couple gears, but I look forward to tracking parts down and making a few friends and learning about this machine as I go.image1-17-.jpgAttachment 266797image3-14-.jpgAttachment 266799image6-2-.jpg

9. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been making some progress. I stipped the lathe down to the bare metal castings and have repainted using Benjamin Moore Super Spec. I custom mixed a dark grey that looks period appropriate.]

ANd then I have basically been cleaning all the moving parts and assessing for damage. I have the lead screw back on with all the quick chance gears and the banjo etc installed. The gears were perfect so that is promising.

The apron had a crash in its history and the rack and pinnion took a break. I will probably machine a new gear and bushing to make this repair.

I got the spindle out and there are some issues with all the threads. I little time will be needed to re-thread and make nut nuts as well as new intermediate and spindle gears.

Aside from s few missing gear covers and latches, its coming back together nicely!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]268790image6-2-1-.jpg[/ATTACH]image0.jpgimage1-19-.jpgimage0.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image1-18-.jpg  

11. Likes RCPDesigns, M.B. Naegle, HendeySwede liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What kind of shape are the ways in?

Looks like enough of it's there to salvage.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have everything rebuild as much as I can. Spindle is running freely and the taper attachment and carriage is complete. I have had a really good tie with this project and look forward to getting the missing pieces back. Hendeyman is making me a new intermediate gear and I am searching for the gear covers etc.

NExt is the drive system!

image0-1-.jpg
    image1-21-.jpg
    image2-16-.jpg
    image.jpg

14. Likes M.B. Naegle, RCPDesigns, enginebill liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)