What's new
What's new

1911 Hendey

Adrianboomer

Plastic
I am in the process of acquiring a Hendey Tie bar 12x6

I have the history from Hendeyman and he has been very helpful. I thought I could use this thread to ask questions and share my experience with the process of getting this machine up and running.
It is in better shape than my last few machine rebuilds however, it has been slightly parted out as well. I guess the hunt is part of the fun :)
image1.jpg

From Hendeyman,
Hendey lathe No. 13152, a 12 x 6 Cone Head model, was scheduled for completion during mid-December 1911. It was shipped with an Oil Pan, a Taper Attachment
and a set of No. 2 Metric Collets. The original owner was the General Electric Company, no city or state was listed. At a later date, it was owned by the Midwest
Tool and Engineering Company, Indianapolis, Indiana. On November 9, 1944, Hendey completed rebuilding the lathe to the new standard that included Cabinet legs.

I will attempt to upload some pics. I would love the thumbnails to appear bigger in my post but I am having a little trouble. Thank you for your patience!image11.jpgimage1 (16).jpgimage2 (13).jpgimage3 (13).jpgimage4 (8).jpg

A few more phots that I have.
The last one in this batch shows the parts that have been sold. It looks like I will be scrounging for some end covers and gears and the quick change gear levers. I should have bought this lathe 8 months ago when I had the chance and it was complete. Oh well, I have at least stopped the hemorrhaging! image5 (5).jpgimage8.jpgimage9.jpgimage10.jpgimage5 (4) (1).jpg

It does have the taper attachment and steady rest which is nice. In this photo, we see the flat bar that is part of the cabinet base. It had a machined flat on them, most likely for a drive system and what I have been told is from the factory. It is interesting. I wonder if any other hendey owners with cabinet bases have this feature.
I would be interested to see how this is set up on a complete machine View attachment 266239

Legs came with the 1944 rebuild, the flat bar was a place to hang the motor for the neat Hendey drive system - that was composed of a rear cone pulley driven thru enclosed reduction gears by a flat belt coming up from the motor. This rear cone could "swing" to enable belt step changes

Thumbnails a few scans from I'll guess mid twenties. Long horizontal pole actuates tight and loose pulley biz so motor can run while spindle is stopped. Far lever tightens/loosens cone belt for speed changes

Not immediately apparent but note the input to this drive is BELOW rear cone center line - suggesting the reduction gearing was composed of a large internal gear on the rear cone driven by a small internal pinion on the input shaft

Thanks to the Stokley family that acquired this catalog from the Lehmann lathe files about forty years back

Attachments

• scan 01.jpg
    scan 01.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 96
  • scan 02.jpg
    scan 02.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 128
image1 (16).jpgimage2 (13).jpgimage3 (13).jpgimage4 (8).jpgimage11.jpg

A little bigger. I'm practicing making my pics larger. resized 150%

Missed one:D

Well, I got he lathe home. It was a fun rigging project getting it loaded, transported and unloaded with just 2 of us but we nailed it. It is going to clean up nicely. I spent a little time just cleaning. I plan on cleaning everything and piecing it back together because, although it is mostly all there, its and parts are were given to me in buckets and milk crates! Once I have the lathe cleaned and together. I will do a complete organized disassembly, and do the whole thing. Anyhow, I know that I am missing a few end covers and the latches and a couple gears, but I look forward to tracking parts down and making a few friends and learning about this machine as I go.image1 (17).jpgView attachment 266797image3 (14).jpgView attachment 266799image6 (2).jpg

I have been making some progress. I stipped the lathe down to the bare metal castings and have repainted using Benjamin Moore Super Spec. I custom mixed a dark grey that looks period appropriate.]

ANd then I have basically been cleaning all the moving parts and assessing for damage. I have the lead screw back on with all the quick chance gears and the banjo etc installed. The gears were perfect so that is promising.

The apron had a crash in its history and the rack and pinnion took a break. I will probably machine a new gear and bushing to make this repair.

I got the spindle out and there are some issues with all the threads. I little time will be needed to re-thread and make nut nuts as well as new intermediate and spindle gears.

Aside from s few missing gear covers and latches, its coming back together nicely!

image1 (18).jpg[/ATTACH]image0.jpgimage1 (19).jpgimage0.jpg

Attachments

• image1 (18).jpg
    image1 (18).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 72
I have everything rebuild as much as I can. Spindle is running freely and the taper attachment and carriage is complete. I have had a really good tie with this project and look forward to getting the missing pieces back. Hendeyman is making me a new intermediate gear and I am searching for the gear covers etc.

NExt is the drive system!

image0 (1).jpg
image1 (21).jpg
image2 (16).jpg
image.jpg

Trying to put a larger photo in my thread of my progress for easy viewing :)
attachment.php

I wanted to update this thread as it has been awhile.

Hendeyman made me a beautiful Intermediate gear to 1905 specs but i discovered the stud was upgraded probably in 1938 when it got all it's other upgrades so the new gear did not fit. I am therefore currently making a new stud to 1905 specs. Boy, was it a bear to remove!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have come across a set of 2H collets. A total of 28, plus maybe 15 duplicates. Not sure if anyone is in need of collets, I can tell you what I have. I also found the collet chuck and draw tube. I am interested in learning about the large collet jaws and threaded part. I have never seen this before.

attachment.php

attachment.php

and lastly, I have this drawing of the back drive system. I am hope there could be a few folks out there that have this system in place and would be able to take some pics. I am thinking about possibly replicating it.

attachment.php

And I have included a photo of the left side of my machine to illustrate the gear covers I am still missing. I have managed to recover all the missing parts except for these covers. It is not the end of the world but if these are rolling around someones rat hole, I would be interested!

attachment.php

Hope everyone is holding up! I am having a lot of fun rebuilding this machine and have thoroughly enjoyed researching and digging through all the threads. Everyone here has been so helpful! Love to chat Hendey any time!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have this drawing of the back drive system. I am hope there could be a few folks out there that have this system in place and would be able to take some pics. I am thinking about possibly replicating it.

Drive from twenties catalog. Nice design - was on my 18 X 6 from 40 and more years back

The trick of it can't be seen - planetary(?) reduction gear - Hendey solving for us the always present requirement to make these ancient lathes go slow enough to live awhile

scan 01.jpgscan 02.jpg

This one still has its belt shipper and tight and loose pulleys (or however that goes)

Back