What's new
What's new

1920 Lodge and Shipley 18" selective head

Rotary Science

Plastic
I have a 1920s Lodge and Shipley 18" x 54" selective head in Norfolk VA that needs a new home. It comes with an Armstrong quick change toolpost, a few holders and some tool steels. The machine has a low speed 7.5 hp motor with plenty of grunt transfered by a 4" flatbelt all mounted to the machine. It has a quick selection threading gearbox/tumbler that works fine. It has a taper attachment that needs a bed clamp. one of the gear selectors has a gear that doesn't select, I have what I think is the gear to replace it that came with the machine, I have just never looked into it. There is minor damage here and there from living in industrial environments for 100 years, but it is all there. I stripped most of the many layers of paint, so most of that work is done. The lathe is perfectly functional as is, but could use a few odds and ends.

Anyone with 200$ that isn't going to scrap it is welcome to it.

I need to make room for machines that fit my needs better (carbide speeds).

Thanks,
Mike

That's the one. It has a large 4 jaw on it currently, and comes with a fabricated chip pan. The motor is mounted on top of the head stock, but I have commonly seen them mounted below, closer to the floor. I think the mount is original, or at least very well executed.

That's the one. It has a large 4 jaw on it currently, and comes with a fabricated chip pan. The motor is mounted on top of the head stock, but I have commonly seen them mounted below, closer to the floor. I think the mount is original, or at least very well executed.

Sort of like so - with the little idler adding to "belt wrap" on the motor pulley. Adds to the "stump puller" aspect of these lathes

L&Spg21.jpg

If anyone is interested I have the repair parts manual for this 1920's L&S lathe, it's 6 pages in the loose leaf format as in John's photos. I can post photos if requested.

If anyone is interested I have the repair parts manual for this 1920's L&S lathe, it's 6 pages in the loose leaf format as in John's photos. I can post photos if requested.

Funny thing about my edition of that (Bulletin No. 368 - dated February 1926) - some of the parts photos are from about early 1900s - immediately apparent if you are working on a late teens / early twenties apron

On the back page "PUBLICATION No. 478-S-637-Supersedes Bulletin No. 407" is printed and written exactly as it is. Has "Photos" of different head stocks with the top cover removed. I try to make a few photos tonight.

I don't have any real lifting capacity on location. There is a local rental place that can drop off and pick up a forklift at a reasonable rate.

The 1916 page I posted above says 3500 for six foot bed and 350 additional for 2 more feet of bed. Later ones - like up to 1927 when the "star knob" apron clutches became levers- will very likely weigh more

Sorry, I promised to post a few photos of the manual I have. Made the photos but for some reason my computer can't link to my camera though it's been working fine for years and just a short while ago. I have 3 of the same cameras, none will connect including one that's was still in the box never used! I changed USB ports, connecting leads, cameras and docking stations. Still will not connect! Have an old wired mouse and it will work in all the ports. When I put the camera in the docking station I get the chime, remove it and get the chime again so something is connected.

Here is that odd page from February 1926 showing 1900ish apron parts

LS Apron Parts.jpg

Sorry, I promised to post a few photos of the manual I have. Made the photos but for some reason my computer can't link to my camera though it's been working fine for years and just a short while ago. I have 3 of the same cameras, none will connect including one that's was still in the box never used! I changed USB ports, connecting leads, cameras and docking stations. Still will not connect! Have an old wired mouse and it will work in all the ports. When I put the camera in the docking station I get the chime, remove it and get the chime again so something is connected.

Manual I have has quite a bit more information. My computer pissed me off, printer that has been working great will now not work to print but I can scan and copy using the computer but when I want to print I get a message printer not connected! Ordered new computer! Will be here hy the end of the week so I can get the photos posted. soon.

Delete the printer, the let the computer search for a new device and it should "find" the printer.
May or may not have to reboot.
Johhn

Delete the printer, the let the computer search for a new device and it should "find" the printer.
May or may not have to reboot.
Johhn

Unfortunatly I did all that and more. I have had similar problems in the past every time I got an up-date but was able to get things working again. New computer is due today, I'll see how much time I have to play with it.

Back