What's new
What's new

Sigourney Drill

Epvek

Plastic
I have just bought an old Sigourney Drill sold in the UK branded as a Buck & Hickman (Sigourney) M416 fitted with a English motor. My plan is to restore the drill (strip, clean, repack or replace bearings, repaint, grease and re-assemble) and use the drill for knife making and a number metal and woodwork projects. I have started to strip the drill but have been unable to remove the quill and spindle.

A. can anyone tell me a bit more about this drill?
B. can anyone advise how I remove the quill, and the spindle from the quill?

Any help very much appreciated.

Edwin van Ek

$_86.jpg$_87.jpgIMG_29031.jpgIMG_29091.jpgIMG_29101.jpg

Sigourney bench drill.

I have just bought an old Sigourney Drill sold in the UK branded as a Buck & Hickman (Sigourney) M416 fitted with a English motor. My plan is to restore the drill (strip, clean, repack or replace bearings, repaint, grease and re-assemble) and use the drill for knife making and a number metal and woodwork projects. I have started to strip the drill but have been unable to remove the quill and spindle.

A. can anyone tell me a bit more about this drill?
B. can anyone advise how I remove the quill, and the spindle from the quill?

Any help very much appreciated.

Edwin van Ek

View attachment 119931View attachment 119932View attachment 119933View attachment 119934View attachment 119935

Edwin,
I have just purchased a similar drill and wondered if you still had yours and if you had managed to obtain any more information or resolve your spindle issue?
I can find 3 examples on the internet, including yours and my own. While they are possibly a later version of the type '0', losing the table extension for the belt counter-shaft, having a different neck for the spindle (in my case only with a plain bearing), all have the motor fitted upside down above the main body using a variety of fixing arrangements. non of which seem original.
As with yourself, any help would be appreciated.
Regards.
Roger

First, I will point out that Edwin only posted on this forum once, back in 2014.

There is a little information on the Sigourney company here:
Sigourney Tool Co. - History | VintageMachinery.org
Sigourney Tool Co. - Photo Index | VintageMachinery.org
Sigourney Tool Co. - Assigned Patents | VintageMachinery.org

Note that Sigourney was part of the very large Pratt and Whitney company for some time. I have a Sigourney M-100 1/4 inch sensitive drill that may have been made in the 1940's. These drills are amazingly heavy for their capacity and very finely built. I once saw a Sigourney floor model drill with a 1 Morse taper spindle (1/2 inch capacity) and variable pitch pulley drive, It looked very heavy for a 1/2" drill.

Larry

Larry,
Very grateful for the reply/information, although most of the details you provided I had already picked up in my researches. The difficulty is that this version of the bench drill is more of a cross between the floor standing drill and the '0' bemch model, and as I stated, images are hard to find and non have an original motor drive. I have pretty much decided to make up a slotted bracket fixed to the top of the centre post, to allow drive belt adjustment and to locate the motor behind the centre post, rather than above/upside down as per the images on the net.
Possibly Edwin dropped out because he had no replies???
Cheers. I will post photos once rebuilt.
Roger

Back