What's new
What's new

1929 Hendey 12x5 High Speed Prototype Lathe Rebuild

Blough

Aluminum
Hendey Machine Co. 1929 12x5 High Speed Prototype Lathe SN #27790 Rebuild Thread

The purpose of this thread is to begin logging and sharing my progress through restoring the lathe that I have posted about previously requesting information.

Before moving forward I want to be sure to give credit to the following threads that have helped me up to this point:
Hendey 14 by 6 Tie-Bar Rehab by Patrick Black
Response to "Super Rare Hendey #1 High Speed Lathe" By Hendeyman
Response to my original post by Johnoder

Some websites that also helped me learn more about the company are:
Hendey 16 X 8 Metal Lathe
www.lathes.co.uk/hendey

At the moment I am cleaning many of the larger components and setting up the bed so I can inspect the straightness and wear of the ways, then I plan on moving on to the bearings to ensure they are not damaged or excessively worn in any way. Once I finish that up I plan on posting my results and methods, then the real restoration begins!

Until then I wanted to post this so if anyone has comments or suggestions they can post it, I want to make sure I am doing this right & would appreciate any criticism or recommendations along the way.

More updates to come!

Thanks for starting the thread, I have talked to a couple Hendey owners already who are very interested to see what Hendey did to make your high speed version. We're glad you're letting us come along for the ride. You'll get plenty of help here also.

Craig

Well I leveled the bed and am giving it some time to get any warping out before measuring the wear, I did disassemble the head. I am a bit stuck on removing the bearings in the front, the housing for them seems to be a little unusual compared to others. I will post a better description soon but wanted to upload some pictures first.

I would also like to ask incase anyone has this information, what bearings are used on the normal and No.1 High speed spindles? I am curious to see which ones are going to be in this one.

Attachments

• IMG_3466.jpg
    IMG_3466.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_3467.jpg
    IMG_3467.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3468.jpg
    IMG_3468.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_3469.jpg
    IMG_3469.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Just another small update, the rear bearings on the spindle are New Departure single row radial thrust ball bearings, which is pretty much nothing more than an educated guess since I cannot find any information on the bearing number.

The markings on side A (Pic 1)inner ring is: "Thrust Here" "New Departure" "Made in USA"
The markings on side B (Pic 2)on outer ring: "Thrust Here"
on brass cage: "S" "P2" "0208" Note "P2" is close to "0208" but the font of the numbers is different which
leads me to believe they may have been stamped for different reasons? Possibly the Hendey part number?

Attachments

• IMG_3507.jpg
    IMG_3507.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3506.jpg
    IMG_3506.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 84
Starting to find the battle wounds

After dismantling the apron I found the first damaged part, which is a large crack on the inner casting of the apron which is pretty easy to see in the picture. I also wanted to not the wear on the gear teeth, you can see the difference between the areas of the teeth on the end that were not engaged.

Side note, I just partially assembled the apron for the pictures, so not all parts are in place.

IMG_3660.jpg
IMG_3661.jpg
IMG_3665.jpg

Blough:

The Hendey policy regarding Part Numbers was to assign the Drawing Number. The New Departure Numbers are New Departure Bearing Numbers.
The Bill of Materials lists New Departure Perfex Precision Spindle Bearings: (2) Matched Front Bearings No. 20211 and (2) Matched Rear
Bearings No. 20208.

On June 17, 1938, the Hendey Engineering Department issued Drawing No. C45-0585, entitled Dimensions and Recommended Fits of New
Departure Bearings for Headstock Spindles. For the No.1 High Speed lathe the Front Bearings are listed as P20211 and the Rear Bearings
are listed as P20-208DB. Since New Departure appears to have simply gone out of business and was not taken over by another bearing
manufacture, I am not sure if their bearing numbers correspond to present day manufacturers. If this becomes a problem, I should have a
New Departure Catalog that can be consulted for the bearing specifications.

Regarding the Apron, remember that the Locking Rings on the Worms are a left hand thread. If you plan to remove the Worm Gears, the
Worms must be removed first. The Worm Thrust Collar has to be held against the Bearing Housing and the Worm Shaft pushed through the
Bearing Housing. The Thrust Collar is retained on the Worm Shaft by a small pin that can make removal of the shaft a problem. A Tool-
makers Clamp can be used to hold the Collar against Bearing Housing while a piece of wood is used to carefully drive the Worm Shaft
through the Bearing Housing. It may be necessary to rotate the Worm to get it to pass over the Worm Gear. When you get the Worm Gear
free, assemble the the Friction into the Worm Gear and make certain that the Friction sits "proud" of the Worm Gear.

Hendey

That was the case with my 1910 tiebar, the pinion showed significant wear and the rack very little. I had to braze and recut one broken tooth and should have brazed up the whole gear and recut all the teeth to compensate for the wear. Once I get it back together I'll see if I can live with it the way it is.

Craig

So some more cleaning and looking through parts and I found some nice hand scraping markings on the transmission arm (for lack of a better term), I am assuming these are original marks from when it was built. I cant imagine someone going as far as re-scraping this after the machine was made.

Attachments

• IMG_3393.jpg
    IMG_3393.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3732.jpg
    IMG_3732.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3733.jpg
    IMG_3733.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 132
Blough, I would have to agree with you in on the handscraping on a rebuild and that is some lovely flaking. It is amazing how much hand fitting there was on those old machines.

Craig

Sorting through some of the parts that came with the lathe, but werent "with" the lathe. Can anyone identify these as Hendey parts?
Sorry for not much context, but there rarely is any when you get the box of wonder that comes with old machine.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 82
Normal practice is to make pinions harder than the racks as each pinion tooth sees many times the wear as each rack tooth.If they are not hardened it stands to reason that they will wear more than then the rack teeth.

Stumbled across this on my local CL and it was in too nice of a condition to pass up. I just thought it was worth a post based on the condition of the box, its stunning!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 77

Back