What's new
What's new

1937 SB Dial Updates

Skip in WV

Plastic
SB may have the parts, but they won't help unless I have part numbers. I suppose there are other places that make larger dials, but I can't find them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Correct. It is a South Bend 9 inch lathe with a 4ft 6in bed. It has only 3 speeds, and was made in 1937. It has small dials. I'm hoping to replace the dials (and corresponding nuts) with larger dials.

Really close. Except mine is only 3 speeds. You can see how small the cross-feed and compound dials are. I'm hoping to find larger dials. SouthBend/Gridley won't help unless I have the part numbers. Thanks for the manual.

As john said, all south bend cone heads had backgear, so you have 6 speeds. Also, the modern SB won't have the dials anyway. Can you show us pics of your lathe? SB made two different generations of 9" lathes in 1937...

allan

It is not just the dials you need. It is far more than you realize to replace the small ones with a larger dial. It will be cheaper to get a DRO for the machine and not need the dials anymore.

Here is a picture of my lathe. No luck on EBay, or I'm looking for the wrong thing.20200402_211715.jpg
What is a DRO?

Will a compound from a 10 inch lathe fit on the 9 inch?

So then there is a thing called.. "earned it". You can't buy it.
Diamond recommends in particular way. The entire South Bend Handbook. It is most appealing these decades afterwards.

ok, that's the 9" workshop, so parts are a bit more common. You should eventually be able to find a set of dials on ebay, or ted might have some ([email protected]). You'll also need some other parts that go along with the dials, like the various flanges and bushings around them. Those parts are more easily made than the dials however, so you can make them yourself. If you go that route, then any dial roughly the right size with the right number of graduations will do, even if it is not SB.

I have a a bridgeport table dial here waiting to go on one of my lathes cross feed...

allan

Oh, and no- the compound would have to come from another 9" workshop. The 10K is too tall, the 10L has the wrong size mounting flange (and is probably too tall).

allan

That lever on the top right of your head stock engages the back gear, and when you engage/disengage the bull gear pin you will discover your lathe has three more speeds.

Back