What's new
What's new

1940 +/- Clausing 100

Fastbackperry

Plastic
Hello. New to PM but definitely appreciate the PM resource. If I posted in the wrong forum sorry as there are so many choices.

I purchased a decent older Clausing 100 machine that looks to be a MK 1 as it has no gear box or clutch. Serial number is 41741 S. Bummer as those obviously make things nicer. The machine is in good shape with only a few chipped gears on the gear end but nothing major. Bed lead screw and follower is in fine shape. Couple questions I'm hoping a Clausing/Atlas 4800 person can help out with.

1. Cross feed acme screw is in good shape but the nut is very sloppy. .060. I know slop in machines of this type is normal but I'd like to correct this as it's obviously worn. I looks like there are well made bronze lead screw nuts made for the machine. Where is the best place to source one of those?

2. The power feed bevel gears are worn with one of them missing a tooth so it does not feed. Really not that big of a deal though but if a pair of new gears could be had for reasonable than I'd replace them. I've read how a gear tooth can be repaired with pinning a bronze piece in but again how much do I want to do for power cross feed I ask myself.

3. The drive belt. It is V type and not split. The challenge for me is getting that belt in to the higher speed ratio (furthest left). The clearance of the top cover is not allowing the belt into the grove. The motor has been mounted on the top cover but regardless I don't think the pulleys would achieve the clearance needed no matter how far the top cover was opened. Am I missing something here? If a split belt is the only option where is the best place to buy one and what make and part number is it?
20190318_084612[1].jpg

Thank you much in advance

Back