Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure if they're stout enough for planer use, but Northwestern Tools has some "Hi-Rise Clamps" with stackable 1" diameter solid and slotted clamp supports, wide support base, with clamps that mesh with the slotted bar. These are used with ordinary long or coupled studs.

I actually have a set (which I haven't used in ages as I haven't put anything tall on the big mill) but cannot recall if you can use standard plain clamps with the stackable supports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
    Always surprises me on the difference in size between a 123 and a 246 block
    Good to know that's not just me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I unpacked the box this morning...There are so many pieces that I could probably hold down a space shuttle, IF I could get it through the shop door

4. Likes pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why not investigate the sliders on the Kennedy tool box and repair / replace / re-engineer them ?

Roller drawer slides are available separately if needs must.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmawson View Post
    Why not investigate the sliders on the Kennedy tool box and repair / replace / re-engineer them ?

Roller drawer slides are available separately if needs must.
    I looked at that earlier and about the only way to improve the drawers functions, to the level I like, with a lot of weight in each door is to replace all the slides with roller bearing slides. A lot of money and I'm still left with a beat up box.

I have another stack of Kennedy Boxes, in my other machine room, that I have had for 30 years and purchased brand new. At that time if you had any other brand of box, well, snickers could be heard as you walked by..... Today I really think that the KOBALT boxes are just as good and better than some models of the Kennedy. That's why the last 6 box purchases have been from Lowe's.

Now people can snicker all they want.

On a sad note.... All the Loews stores have stopped selling this tool box and have drank the Craftsman Kool-Aid Their tool section is now a sea of red with crappy craftsman tools and now, tool boxes. I don't know who is behind the push but all of the Ace Hardware stores are also converted......

The salesmen are all happy and gushing about the "quality" and "history" of Craftsman... I just shake my head and think of how far the Craftsman name has fallen...

One sales person would just not stop his gushing praise of Craftsman... I simply picked up a open end wrench and showed him the nice, polished handle that look great but was almost like a knife edge when used to free a nut or bolt. They are made that way now to save material and shipping costs. The fact that you now have to wrap a rag around the handle or wear gloves to really use the wrench went right over the salesman's head

7. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is probably forbidden to mention but my brother-in-law convinced me to check out the 44" x 22" HF tool box he purchased and I was very surprised by the quality. To the extant that when I saw them on sale for $400 I went and got one, and now my kennedy top and bottom boxes are being repurposed.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This will be utterly unhelpful for several reasons, not least of which is that they were discontinued years ago, but the TRAXX series roller cabinets and machinists' chests from Waterloo were absolutely fabulous value for the money, especially when purchased from Enco, also gone (absorbed into MSC). They were slightly better built than the comparable ball-bearing slide Kennedys, at about 1/3 the price, and they had the drawer heights I wanted.

Nothing in Waterloo's current catalog is remotely close to the late, lamented TRAXX. I bought one of their later "shop roller cabinets" and consider it a disposable.
    Last edited by sfriedberg; 04-17-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've just finished refurbishing a pair of Pindar Versatool cabinets - they are becoming rare as the 'trendy's ' are using them as kitchen cupboards. Bridgeport supplied them at one time with Interacts.

Basically a clean up, install casters, and give the a new paint job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails labels-fixed.jpg   cabinet-1-open.jpg  

11. Likes swatkins liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All of our tool boxes are old non bearing slides types (Craftsman, Waterloo, Kennedy, Lyon). But you know me, an old 'Murican made "economy" tool is x10 better than a cutting-edge import! I'm cheap and stubborn.

For us it's not an issue as all the stuff that stays out on the shop floor is light and small and the weighty items (like fixturing and work-holding pieces) have their own wood boxes or trays that are kept in shelves in the tool crib. So heavy-duty shelves took care of that. we built tall and narrow shelves out of 2" tubular square steel with heavy Gage sheet metal decking. The intent was to have something we could stack vises on floor to ceiling without any sag.

13. Likes 4GSR liked this post