What's new
What's new

1944 21" leblond lathe price???

wmcm

Aluminum
So i have deal going on and need to let my 1944 21x54" leblond regal go it has some pretty good wear on the ways but i have turned accurate work out with it for atleast 8 years that ive owned it. So it has a taper attachment (not installed) steady rest, 3 jaw chuck great remember the brand, 4 jaw 12" cushman chuck , thread dial is off right now needs a gear.on thebottom. Home modified live center (i didnt do the modifying) im looking for a ball park price. The clutch and brake work great the head is quiet etc etc. I have it wired direct for 3 phase 220 but the 440 stuff is there. Its 5hp motor on it. I just need the room and dont want to see the old girl go to scrap or parted out. Anybody offer any advice on price i have one pick but tell me what yall need to see if it helps thanks fellas let the flaming begin lmao

Attachments

• 20200731_000515.jpg
    20200731_000515.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 20200731_000602.jpg
    20200731_000602.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 93
any advice on price

So - maybe an 8" 3 jaw and a 12" four jaw. All we see is a lantern tool post and a iffy live center. Anything else? (besides the not installed T/A)

You also give no clue as to access - is it in a basement? Or something far less of a chore?

You could see how you do with $750 - but do be prepared for little interest. Folks are definitely not lined up outside waiting to buy old lathes

Not working thread dial a big detraction to a sale. Nice lathe with having a taper attachment and a steady..

Here a plastic gear that might be good for getting dimensions off to make a gear? *But said for a smaller machine.
LeBlond 15" Metal Lathe Thread Dial Gear - 3D Printed 13"-19" 4 TPI Lead Screw | eBay.

With the thread dial guess I would ask $1200 but like John said you might be lucky to move it at all.

Question for John..do people use a plastic gear?

Ok thanks fellas. Sounds like its better to part out and scrap. Its in my garage which i had it pushed in with a rollback tow truck. I figured there probably isnt much interest with all the newer stuff thats why i asked because yall know better then i do. Ill start pulling good parts and torching the rest. Thanks again fellas.

Ouch! I have been on the lookout for a lathe of that size but I'm on the other side of the country. Sorry to hear it will go the way of the torch.

I see no reason to scrap that lathe. In my part of Illinois that lathe would be on Craig's list for only a couple days at $1500.

The roundhead Regal lathes are a good home shop lathe in that they do not have too big a footprint and are very user friendly. A roundhead Regal lathe such as you have described, with taper attachment and long-taper spindle nose (as opposed to the threaded spindle nose) is a very salable lathe in my opinion. The fact the lathe has the mechanical clutch in working order is also a big plus. It cushions the starting of the spindle, and also is a bit more efficient in terms of electricity consumption (motor already spinning when clutch is engaged, no repeated starts requiring heavy inrush current to the motor).

As for price, anywhere from $700 - $1500 seems like the ballpark. It would be a shame to scrap this lathe. If it is all intact and working, albeit minus the thread dial gear, I would make a good effort to try to sell the lathe as a running unit. Parting out is a dicey game, with having to list the parts and wait for people to make inquiries, make offers, then pack/ship parts. These Roundhead Regal lathes seem to be listed for some high-dollar prices on ebay, and in our local Craigslist, some ancient lathes like Reed, or Seneca Falls, as well as beat-to-hell Southbends are listed for upwards of $1000. They are not making anymore Roundhead Regal lathes, so if you can avoid scrapping the lathe and sell it to someone who knows what they are getting, that would be the ideal situation.

I've got a 13" x 42" Roundhead Regal built in 1943. Fully tooled with taper attachment, steady and follower rests, 3 & 4 jaw chucks, face plate, dog (catch) plate, lantern toolpost and a few toolholders, chip pan and coolant pump. Some wear on the bedways, and the threaded spindle nose. No clutch, just the belt drive off the motor. I paid 700 bucks for my Roundhead Regal and that was a good 8 years ago, and it was part of an estate liquidation. I've seen similar Roundhead Regal lathes listed on Craigslist or sold by used tool stores for 1200-1500 bucks. This is in an area of NY State that is hardly a machine tool desert. I would think that your being in Maryland, you should have no problem in selling the lathe as a complete running unit.

Agree no reason to scrap it , at least make effort to sell it. You could/might only sell a few parts and get +400 then be stuck with getting rid of it and so pay a rigger $200 to haul it away.
it can make its own gear so at least fix that. ..and at least try to sell it.
*Some guys here might make offer (fair price)for ths steady and the taper attchment.

Scrap price is very low. I would advertise the lathe, try ebay. That lathe is a good lathe depending how badly worn it is but some hobbyist might buy it. It is quite large for the average guy to put it in his basement. You might want to list it as it's rated size not actual swing since most older American made lathes actual swing was larger than rated swing. Not having a thread dial is no big thing if threading is not done often, simply don't open the half nut and run the lathe in reverse or in neutral turning the chuck backwards by hand. That worm gear is not hard to make as other have pointed out, there is no load. A friend of mine made one with brass pins as teeth.

That’s a nice size lathe for farm repairs. In the mid west I’d list it on Big Iron and fully expect $1500 minimum. Would sell better turn-key and under power.

In Maryland I don’t know....

That’s a nice size lathe for farm repairs. In the mid west I’d list it on Big Iron and fully expect $1500 minimum. Would sell better turn-key and under power.

In Maryland I don’t know....

Same here! Often ag machinery shafts has stuff welded to it that we would rather not have to remove to fit it in a lathe.

Considering the number of old lathes that have been shown on this forum over the years, yours would appear to be in much better shape and more complete than many .
While I don’t need another lathe right now and can’t make an offer myself , I think it would be regrettable if you had to scrap it .

While I can’t say if it would bring you much more money ,if you do decide to offer it on one of the online platforms, you may find that you might have a better chance to attract the kind of buyer you were hoping for if you could spare an hour or so to give the machine a quick wipe down and rub a few of the rusty spots with some WD40 or similar liquid and some very fine steel wool and oil up the ways etc.
I realize that the way things are these days circumstances may not permit you doing that.
Getting some more detailed pictures of the machine perhaps with that blue tarp hung behind to brighten the back ground with the accessories that go with it grouped on a board or table with a paper towel or other light background behind them might encourage someone to take a closer look or drive a little farther to come to see it.
Regards,
Jim

I made a new threading gear out of Delrin for my lathe by using the lathe as a shaper. An option if you have the time.

20200130_200230.jpg20200130_200221.jpg

Back