What's new
What's new

1948 Rivett R-1 8mm lathe

The images attached show a 1948 Rivett Model R-1 8mm jewelers lathe S/N # 248. Less than 500 of the R-1 lathes were made between 1946 and 1950. Two variants were produced: the square base under the headstock and the round base under the headstock (shown here). These were designed in the "Modernist Style". The headstock features a pair of tapered (Timken style) roller bearings, a graduated index ring on the back of the spindle and a spindle spring lock. The late came to us from the Estate of our dear friend the late Dave Sobel. In very good condition it was only missing the red plastic draw bar handle. We machined that out of a piece of a Millers Falls screwdriver handle of the "Buck Rodgers" style from the same era.

Attachments

• R11.JPG
    R11.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 178
  • R12.jpg
    R12.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 191
The images attached show a 1948 Rivett Model R-1 8mm jewelers lathe S/N # 248. Less than 500 of the R-1 lathes were made between 1946 and 1950. Two variants were produced: the square base under the headstock and the round base under the headstock (shown here). These were designed in the "Modernist Style". The headstock features a pair of tapered (Timken style) roller bearings, a graduated index ring on the back of the spindle and a spindle spring lock. The late came to us from the Estate of our dear friend the late Dave Sobel. In very good condition it was only missing the red plastic draw bar handle. We machined that out of a piece of a Millers Falls screwdriver handle of the "Buck Rodgers" style from the same era.

I’d like to get something like this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice, you did a great job on the knob. I remember shopping at Sobel’s, seemed everything I wanted was part of his “private collection”. But I did get some good stuff from him. Really miss guys like that.

Yeah I have also wanted one of these and great idea on the screwdriver handle! Good old Dave, I bought a lot from him. And yes the "private collection" I tried and tried to get his Ames Triplex.

The model name is 1R, nor R-1, according to the collet box labels. The collets are marked Rivett 1R. The collet threads are slightly different from common Webster-Whitcomb (WW) or B8 collets.

I have two of them, and both have the original cardboard box of collets with the lathe serial numbers (89 and 451) written in the box lid. Both have the round base. They have cast beds with a chrome-like color on the finished surfaces. I have a few extra 1R collets. The center height and bed shape allows slide rests and such from WW lathes to fit the Rivett. Number 451 has the three red knobs, but 89 has only the T-bolt red knob. Note the instructions say the lathe has ball bearings, not tapered roller bearings.

Lathe 451 was bought new by a talented professional engraver who apparently used watch lathes for a hobby. He bought the Rivett new and apparently barely used it. The lady who sold it to me around 1984 also had a gorgeous Derbyshire outfit that the engraver must have soon bought as a replacement for the Rivett. She would not sell the Derbyshire. I did get the engraving tools.

They are nice lathes, as would be true of any Rivett product. Apparently, the end of WWII produced a rush to watch repair schools by ex-soldiers with free tuition grants. There were a lot of new watch lathe designs that came out in that era and lots of lathes that show little use. Rivett may have priced theirs too high to compete, and the odd collet did not help. The other lathe makers kept with the WW collets or the less common but still popular Moseley design.

Rivett made watch lathes in the 1880's and later and those were high priced, with steel beds where all the competition used cast iron. The old Rivett watch lathe collets were very different from the WW standard. I have a very nice old Rivett watch lathe, but have only a few of the old collets for it.

I would sell the Rivett lathes and extra 1R collets.

Larry

DSC02529.jpg DSC02523.jpg DSC02525.jpg DSC02531.jpg DSC02528.jpg

The model name is 1R, nor R-1, according to the collet box labels. The collets are marked Rivett 1R. The collet threads are slightly different from common Webster-Whitcomb (WW) or B8 collets.

I have two of them, and both have the original cardboard box of collets with the lathe serial numbers (89 and 451) written in the box lid. Both have the round base. They have cast beds with a chrome-like color on the finished surfaces. I have a few extra 1R collets. The center height and bed shape allows slide rests and such from WW lathes to fit the Rivett. Number 451 has the three red knobs, but 89 has only the T-bolt red knob. Note the instructions say the lathe has ball bearings, not tapered roller bearings.

Lathe 451 was bought new by a talented professional engraver who apparently used watch lathes for a hobby. He bought the Rivett new and apparently barely used it. The lady who sold it to me around 1984 also had a gorgeous Derbyshire outfit that the engraver must have soon bought as a replacement for the Rivett. She would not sell the Derbyshire. I did get the engraving tools.

They are nice lathes, as would be true of any Rivett product. Apparently, the end of WWII produced a rush to watch repair schools by ex-soldiers with free tuition grants. There were a lot of new watch lathe designs that came out in that era and lots of lathes that show little use. Rivett may have priced theirs too high to compete, and the odd collet did not help. The other lathe makers kept with the WW collets or the less common but still popular Moseley design.

Rivett made watch lathes in the 1880's and later and those were high priced, with steel beds where all the competition used cast iron. The old Rivett watch lathe collets were very different from the WW standard. I have a very nice old Rivett watch lathe, but have only a few of the old collets for it.

Larry

View attachment 308492 View attachment 308493 View attachment 308494 View attachment 308495 View attachment 308496
Hey Larry, great informative post! I wonder if you still have any of these Rivett 1R lathes? I have recently acquired serial number 171 in great condition, but not complete...it is tragically missing the cast round (assumed) base. I would love accurate dimensions of the base if possible! If convenient, and you still have one, of course...Thanks in advance, Rob

Larry

View attachment 308492 View attachment 308493 View attachment 308494 View attachment 308495 View attachment 308496

Attachments

• IMG_2928.jpg
    IMG_2928.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 18
Some owners of standard type watch lathes preferred to mount them on cast aluminum bases so that they could be easily moved to whatever position was most convenient. They did not require a traditional watch bench in order to use the lathe. The traditional watch benches had a hole in the top surface near the front on the left side to mount a standard American type lathe using a long stud and cast hand knob. Kick wheels were the only drive means in the early days of American watch lathes and were still in use to some extent after small electric motors were introduced. There may also be a place on old benchtops behind the lathe for a countershaft and holes for a belt driven by a kick wheel sitting under the bench at the left side of the foot well. Newer benches will have a drawer under the left side of the benchtop, blocking the path of a kick wheel belt, and forcing the use of an electric motor. The aluminum bases were made in several styles by several makers, but they all use a short machine screw to attach the lathe bed and have a slotted portion to mount a small electric motor behind the lathe. The original lathe mounting foot often got lost once it was no longer in use. Many of those aluminum bases are marked "BOREL" for Jules Borel & Co. of Kansas City, MO, an old time watch and jewelry supply house. I cannot recall seeing a name on any of the other styles of base.

My Rivett 1R #451 came on an aluminum base, but the very meticulous craftsman who owned it had kept the original mounting foot, stud and hand knob.

Larry

Thanks so much Larry, for shedding more light on the mounting of these small lathes! My intention is to mount this Rivett 1R #171 to a beautiful slab of Mahogany, then mount it inside a bent wood Singer sewing machine case for mechanical and dust protection. I need to fabricate a mount like the original Rivett round stand-off, or locate one.....do you still have the surplus Rivett mounting foot, stud and hand knob? I would be interested in obtaining such, or at least getting critical dimensions from it! Please advise.

Thanks so much again, Rob

Thanks so much Larry, for shedding more light on the mounting of these small lathes! My intention is to mount this Rivett 1R #171 to a beautiful slab of Mahogany, then mount it inside a bent wood Singer sewing machine case for mechanical and dust protection. I need to fabricate a mount like the original Rivett round stand-off, or locate one.....do you still have the surplus Rivett mounting foot, stud and hand knob? I would be interested in obtaining such, or at least getting critical dimensions from it! Please advise.

Thanks so much again, Rob
Toolfixer, I'm a 1R owner, #195. Private message coming your way in a few minutes.

Back