What's new
What's new

1957 Gorton P2-3 for sale

Elam Works

Aluminum
1957 Gorton P2-3 three dimensional pantomill. Serial No. 37865

Lightly used and kindly maintained. Has variable spindle speed option, 1300 to 9200 rpm. Pantograph reductions from 1:2 to 8:1. Maximum cutter diameter: 3/8”. Table travel 22 x 16 x 13”. Table size: 9 x 32” with three tee-slots. Maximum height under spindle: 13.5” With the cutting spindle clamped, does 2D work. With the spindle unclamped and the 3D modeling bar (included) attached does 3D work. Includes set of collets and the optional enlarging spindle (replaces the tracing stylus). 3-phase, 1/2hp motor, but platform mounted that would be a straightforward conversion to a single-phase motor. No manuals, no letter sets.

Weight: 2600 lb. 47” wide, 67” deep, 66” tall. Can load with forklift. South East Pennsylvania, zip code 19342.
$1200
610-459-2177 5pm-8pm weekdays, or 9am-8pm weekends. Ask for Ken.

Attachments

• DSCN9661.jpg
    DSCN9661.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN9653.jpg
    DSCN9653.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN9655.jpg
    DSCN9655.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN9660.jpg
    DSCN9660.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN9753.jpg
    DSCN9753.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 115
You ask how? At the time I had a big hmb, no problem to do the machine-work on the Gorden, didn't even have to sweat...just picked the p2-3 up and bolted it to the hbm table and made chips.... easy...Phil

I did not ask how.

Totally Right ? means Totally awesome (awesome is silently implied)
and Right ? means Do you agree with the implication of awesome.

I can think of may ways to rigidly mount a head.
An HBM is cheating, but I also have a Giddings Lewis HBM in my shop,
so I know the ease of which this can be accomplished.
Mounting the head to the table to machine the base is another way.

---Doozer

At least we can agree on the awesome-ness
of heavy Gorton iron base machine with the
versatility of a BP head.
Didn't Gorton make Verticals larger than the
9-J model ??? I have a low hour 9-J in my shop
and it is heavy and smooth. I think they did
make some models like the K&T dough mixer types.
Gorton machines must have cost a bunch, as there
is not many at all compared to a BP.

----Doozer

Interesting conversation to keep the post active...

I don't know what the Gorton vertical mills cost, but the list price for the P2-3 in 1971 was $11,800, and $200 extra for variable speed. Quite pricy for the day.

-Doug

Interesting conversation to keep the post active...

I don't know what the Gorton vertical mills cost, but the list price for the P2-3 in 1971 was $11,800, and $200 extra for variable speed. Quite pricy for the day.

-Doug

I remember seeing these at auction in the late 70's and they were still bringing 6 - 7 K

Nice machine and not too far away.
10 yrs ago i would have been all over that.
Still use my P1-3

Will mention it to a buddy who is only a few years older than me and still collects....
Msaybe i can go down and play if someone nearby gets it. :)

PS:
I remember seeing these at auction in the 20-teens, usually too far away, and they were only bringing a few hundred$ or even going for scrap
Prices seem to have stabilized on old manual machine tools, though, as people realize they aren't making any more except maybe in India.

smt

My garage is full of unfinished projects, but that is very tempting. Especially since it is only about an hour away. I am interested if it is not sold.

Back