What's new
What's new

1958 Bridgeport ml

Raymond Head

Plastic
I purchased a 1958 mill from a friend of a friend. $500 and I know it works. It's owner passed a few years ago and he used it as a play toy.
I own it now and will go pick it up in a few weeks but from the photos sent to me the motor is directly over the quele. All I have seen before the motor is offset so you cane change collets and tooling.
My question is, is this unique or am I getting something that is not a true working Mill?

Never heard of something like that. Are you sure you're not confusing the motor with a power draw-bar? The motors on the old J-head mills are often refered to as "pancake" motors because they are flat. Comparitivly a Kurt power drawbar has a tall sheetmetal enclosure that makes it kind of look like a motor.

Otherwise someone's done some hacking on it.:wrong:

It is a pancake type. It has been 4 or 5 years since I saw the machine in person. Dose the motor swing out of the way or is there a pass through to change tooling.

The motor should be in back with the thru-hole of the spindle exposed in front of it. If that's not the arrangement, it's not a standard Bridgeport so there's no way to tell how they set-it up unless you can post some pictures.

Back