1968 Summit Horizontal/Vertical Mill
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1968 Summit Horizontal/Vertical Mill

I am having a difficult time tracking any kind of information down on this machine. No manuals from Summit, no online notes, nothing about a model UNu... anywhere. About the only thing I have found is a couple of machines for sale that are seemingly identical.

Probably a long shot, but if anyone has some any information on this guy, I would love to see it.

01313_8b7vtulin2t_1200x900.jpg

Summit Brand (Although Summit says this machine may have been part of Hart Ind. before/while Summit bought them out)
    Built in 1968
    Model UNu (yes, the second u is lower case)
    10 1/2" x 47" Plain Table (No swivel)
    5HP Spindle
    1HP Feed Motor
    Seems to be built in Italy (although a few controls are in French)
    ~3500lbs.
    40 Taper (Horizontal & Vertical)
    Power feed + Rapid in all three axis
    25-1500RPM
    3/8" - 90 IPM Feedrates

The machine is in running order, but the vertical head and X axis nut need a little attention. Past that, I'd like to get a feel for the machine in action, and if it proves to work reliably, give it a DRO, a coat of paint and a permanent spot in the shop.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been intrigued by machines further away. Because they weren't influenced too much, they come out with different engineering. That looks a great machine to me. The central motor drive is so cool because it powers all axis without hanging off. That means there are really intricate parts inside.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty standard lookin plain horizontal mill,with a plain vertical head..........any intricate gears will be in the knee.......where rapids are often broken.....but you can live with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I have an update!

First, a comment hinted that this could be an Induma mill. A few quick searches showed mills that were built suspiciously close to my machine, but not exactly the same. I figured it, for sure, had to be and an Induma.

A random search finally brought me to Simplon, another Italian company that also made similar machines. More specifically, a Simplon model UN (although mine does not have the universal table).

Of course, lathe.co.uk, had the information I needed the whole time:

Simplon UN Milling Machine