What's new
What's new

20" Hendey feed problem

Froneck

Titanium
I have a 20" Hendey early 1950's Vintage. Great lathe runs really good, ways like new. I had a feed issue today. Taking finish cut at the most .002" on diameter. I was near the shoulder of a part I was turning and flipped the carriage feed handle, it went down as it always does but feed did not stop, when I flipped off the carriage feed I flipped on the cross feed, feeding out. Before I noticed my shoulder was now about 60° not 90°. I wobbled the carriage manual feed hand wheel and the feed disengaged. Anyone know why that happened? what can I do to fix the problem what ever it might be?

To be clear you are saying your forward, neutral, reverse lever isn't having any reaction?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

No not the direction shifter actually, it works better on this Hendey than any Hendey I have ever owned. Machine is in excellent condition, I'm not very generous with ratings! Carriage feed lever next to the Carriage hand wheel that when lifted-up will engage the carriage feed, but not cross feed which of course is a different lever. In this case carriage direction was set to travel toward the chuck and cross feed away from work. (feed direction lever down) Carriage was cutting .001/side (.002 Dia.) traveling toward chuck, as I got close to the dial carriage stop (original Hendey stop). I dropped the carriage feed lever, using the hand wheel I moved the carriage to the stop. (it did feel as it moved slightly probably taking-up gear backlash) I then engaged cross feed and it began feeding out. I soon noticed I was cutting an angle, carriage stop was pushed about 1/4", flipped the feed direction to neutral so all feeds stopped. Pushed down (off) cross feed lever and backed the tool out away from the work. Loosened the clamp for the carriage stop and moved it away form the carriage. Moved the carriage hand wheel left and right and I heard feed release. Was trying to get something done so I didn't have time to go back and check if carriage feed will stick again. Work was long but amount to be turned short so I was taking light cuts, .030 max. Must have made 10 cuts all doing the same thing as I got near the stop except use cross feed though I did use cross feed earlier to square-up shoulder so finial shoulder cut will be very small, just for finish. Carriage feed worked great every time.

If I understand you correctly, you're talking about the feed clutches (engaged/disengaged each with a lever, instead of a knob, common in older lathes).

Paolo

Yes! It's the lever type not the knob that you tighten. Not sure what I was thinking but it's a 24" lathe not 20". It's in excellent condition, Head stock is quiet feed gear box is quiet too, Running it makes less noise than any other lathe in my shop!! Hendeys had lever type feed controls in the 1940s, not sure when they changed, I'm thinking back in the 30s. I know it's an early 1950s model, 52 or 54 comes to mind.

I had a similar issue with a Hendey #2 GP I used to own. Opening up the apron revealed a lot of old accumulated varnish that was gumming up the works. A simple cleaning fixed everything.

Back