What's new
What's new

22B Collet Dimensions

Pikeapn

Plastic
I recently acquired an Empire 35 Turret lathe that uses #22B collets. (Not to be confused with 22 B&S collets). See below picture of 22B collet. I want to machine a chuck backer plate that fits into the collet opening so I can us a little 4” 4 jaw chuck.

Does anybody have a dimension drawing of the 22B collets? Including angles and dimensions?

2afe1b4c1a54905fbbcb0bdbf8734517.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I see that Pikeapn has the original manual for his Empire 35 lathe and it clearly states the collet is a Brown & Sharpe 22B in post #19 in below thread.

Looking For Info On "EMPIRE" Model 35 Turret Lathe

That style collet has no threads. The lathe drawing indicates there is a big nut on the spindle nose that retains the collet in the spindle. The lever collet closer pushes a tube against the rear collet taper, trapping the collet against the taper inside the nut and squeezing the collet against the bar. A 22B chuck adapter for a jaw chuck would have to have a front end that would pass through the collet retaining nut, which probably has a hole about 1.57" diameter. Maybe the adapter could have a male thread like 1"-8 or 1"-10 or other small standard size for which a small 4-jaw chuck could be bought. Here is such a chuck.
4" 4 Jaw Independent Lathe Chucks w/ TIR Certificate+1-10 Back Plate M[ | eBay

A simple solution would be to use a 22B collet with 1.25" order hole and grip a 4" 4-jaw chuck with a 5C collet shank. Such chucks are readily available.
5C MOUNT 4" 4-JAW INDEPENDENT LATHE CHUCK (3900-4713) 769053081823 | eBay

And here is a cheap 22B 1-1/4" collet.
#22B COLLET, 1-1/4" ROUND FOR BROWN AND SHARPE AUTOMATIC SCREW MACHINES | eBay

Larry

Last edited:

Back