What's new
What's new

4140 ht dce

Froneck

Titanium
Anyone know what 4140 HT DCE is? Listed on ebay, I'm looking for 4140 at least C30 or more but not C50 or more. Not sure what that hardness might be of the item listed on ebay.

I don't know either. Guy on ebay has it listed as NEW OLD STOCK HARD FLAT STEEL STOCK DCE 4140HT 12"X 2" X 1/2" In the photo there is tape on 1/2" width side with 4140 HT DCE maybe DCF (lower part of the tape is curled up. Kinda wondering what the hardness might be

I thought it was DCF but tape is curled and though the seller could see the marking better than I from the photos. Does that change anything? I made an offer but he countered and then I countered. Problem is I need 1-1/4 X 3/8 X 3" so I'll get 4 lengths from a foot but have to cut it to size. He wants $40, I countered with $36

Your right I went back and looked again, The top view (first photo) it's easy to see it is DCF, I looked at what I though was a better view and is but lower part of the F and C can't bee seen though part of the lower part of the C is visible so it was definitely a C. Seller marked it wrong

Does that change anything?

Nope - especially since you decided it was DCF

Weight wise its a rip - it weighs almost exactly 3.4 Lbs and dividing that into 36 = $10.59 per pound

All that is really important is that you need it and hopefully intend making your customer pay an appropriate amount

McMaster's price for 1/2" X 2" C30 is $20.39/lb + shipping! I did offer $36 but he didn't take it. But he now relisted the item at $36.95! When he had it at $49.95 I offered $35. He countered at $40. That's 80% so maybe I should offer $29.56!
It's for me, I want to make hammers for 1911. But I only need 1.25 X 3/8" (Actually .325")I'll wait a while if it don't sell I'll offer him $30 again! I don't need it, my son is making a few for me from D2.

McMaster's price for 1/2" X 2" C30 is $20.39/lb + shipping! I did offer $36 but he didn't take it. But he now relisted the item at $36.95! When he had it at $49.95 I offered $35. He countered at $40. That's 80% so maybe I should offer $29.56!
It's for me, I want to make hammers for 1911. But I only need 1.25 X 3/8" (Actually .325")I'll wait a while if it don't sell I'll offer him $30 again! I don't need it, my son is making a few for me from D2.

Not sure I get this. Unless you don't value your time, you've spent a lot more than $10 to save a few bucks, and you've dragged your son into it too (and his time must be worth something also).

Sometimes we need to step back and stop trying to "win" when it actually costs us...

Maybe I should phrase it better. I want to make the best 1911 hammer available. It's not being done! It's possible other do not want to change geometry because of liability. They copy the dimensions as they were in 1911! What I'll do is not anything that will change safety. I'm looking for something that is wear resistant and can be machined. What I pay for the material is not important at this time. I don't want to buy something from ebay I can get from McMaster. My thoughts is to try different material and select the best! I have another son that thinks he can get me a piece of AR500 plate.
Like I said I'm trying everything to determine which is best but while I'm doing it don't want the throw a lot of money in buying steel that may not work good. I simply need a few small pieces.

Order a piece of s-7 I don’t think you will find anything better. Maybe some z-tuff ?
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What I want to do is make a few hammers from different material and select the material that did give the best results. Being I'm heaving most of the outline wire cut I'm looking for a hard material I don't have to heat treat. The pivot hole must be close tolerance, the other being the strut connection pin. everything else I can grind. However it can't be too hard because it is a hammer so will have to withstand impact though not heavy. However repeated quite often in competition guns that would be about 3,000 times a year.
Frank

Back