What's new
What's new

4S to 3C Collet adapter needed- Philly Machinist Reccommedation

richmccarty

Cast Iron
Hello All,
I would like to have someone make a collet adapter for my Stark #4 so that I can use 3C collets. The 4S takes 3/4" max, so I don't think a 4S->3C adapter would be too thin.

Can anyone recommend a Philly area machinist who could work with me to make the adapter and a new end for a spare Stark drawbar?
I would like to have the adapter hardened & ground with an external keyway for the Stark spindle and a proper internal key for the 3C collets.

Thanks,
Rich McCarty

http://www.clockconservation.com

PS - The Stark is a beautiful and useful lathe that I use almost everyday but it would really extend my shop if the lathe, mill (Barker PM) and dividing head all use the same collet.

Another option would be to adapt a Hardinge Cataract 7" swing 3C collet headstock to your Stark bed. I have a number of extra 3C and 4C headstocks.

Still another option would be to rework the outside of a Cataract 3C spindle to 4S dimensions. That way the inside is already hardened and ground to fit the 3C collets. I may have a 3C spindle with bad bearing surfaces or a worn chuck mounting taper.

I have some drawbar tubes with the 3C threads that could be used for your project.

Larry

Hi Rich,

I know this is old, but I'm in Philly and I have a Stark #4 and I'm planning on making the same thing. Though I'm also debating about a thread on spindle nose adapter like the South Bend. My first thought was bronze as I can cast blanks to size, but I could also heat treat them in 1045. Maybe you've already found a solution to this...

It's a funny feeling clicking on a possibly relevant thread and discoving it's relevant because i started it.
I still have & and use the Stark regularly, but I never pursued the collet adapter. Lazy, i guess and the 4S collets I've got are good enough. I personally would only be satisfied with a nicely made adapter in which the collet mounted flush to headstock. Extra protruding spinning bits give me the whillies.

Back