What's new
What's new

5" VIP bench vise barn find

capnjack98

Plastic
Picked this up in a huge barn in Maine that was full of so much stuff, but this vise just caught my eye and i had to haul it home ofcourse. Im wondering if anybody has any info on this line in particular. the placard says VIP, with the flag on top left which matches the auto parts chain. I havent been able to find anything on this thing. Possibly a Chinese make for VIP? It works like a champ. I just got done chiseling, grinding, sanding all the old paint and de greasing it piece by piece. The main body is really beefy, about 8-10" tall with a 16" screw.

Im not a machinist by any means but i was told we had one of the only 5 axis milling machines on the eastcoast back in the early 2000s where i worked at a boatshop for 18years. The thing was massive, you could drive a car onto the platform. Thanks for havin me.20190203_104646.jpg

Yep ,its Chinese....but a d**m good vise..........we had one in the workshop for pipe fittings ,and you just couldnt bust the thing..........was torn out of the bench a few times with a 4ft pipewrench ,but just rebolted with bigger washers.

I have the 6" and 4" sizes. I bought them decades ago, so they are from Taiwan, not mainland. I have seen them with various names and paint colors. I broke the 6" one, but brazed it back together and still use it. Basically, quite good vises.

I think they are copied from a USA product, maybe Yost.

Larry

I have the 6" and 4" sizes. I bought them decades ago, so they are from Taiwan, not mainland. I have seen them with various names and paint colors. I broke the 6" one, but brazed it back together and still use it. Basically, quite good vises.

I think they are copied from a USA product, maybe Yost.

Larry

I do not believe it was Yost, who sadly has transitioned all their manufacturing to Taiwan. So no more US Made Yost vises.

As posted by Neophite on the GarageJournal.com:

The origin of the Chinese rotating vises is actually the USA. The original version of the vise was patented in 1921 by Edwin Wayland Fulton,Patent US-1404109A. Its sort of confusing, but E. W. Fulton had moved to Lowville, NY in 1905 and purchased a foundry. He later sold the foundry and started a company called the Atlas Vise Co. Inc. to sell a wide selection of vises. One of the vises was called the Nutyp Combination and Bench Vise. This is the vise the patent refers to, and the one the Chinese vises copied. These vises were apparently produced by the Oswego Tool Co., or at least the rights were licensed to Oswego. Fulton had also started the Velox Vise Co. which produced a quick action machinist bench vise that was also designed and patented by Fulton and licensed to Oswego. The Nutyp Vises were also produced as the F. & R. Combination Special Vise and sold by Boker Cutlery and Hardware NY, NY. There were also apparently contracts to produce the Nutyp vises for the American and French governments. Fulton had other vise patents under his name, and eearlier in his life he apparently worked for the Prentiss Tool Co.

Writeup in 1921 American Machinist as posted by Outlawmws on the GarageJournal.com
ATLAS NUTYP -fulton  VISE.jpg

Back