What's new
What's new

50's Vintage 14" Hendey Tail Stock help

Froneck

Titanium
I completely dismantled my 14" Hendey tail Stock. Painted the Handles and the main 2 castings. I fitted a thrust bearing on the screw, drilled and tapped holes for future way wiper installation. Drilled and reamed 2 holes for angle Gits oil cups to oil the ways and made an opening in the ways for felt to be fed oil from the Gits fittings. I even painted the adjustment screws. Not much, masking taped the threads and the square flats for the wrench and painted the little that is still exposed.
BUT!!! I removed the lower clamp assembly. Putting the Tail Stock together I found everything except the bar that fits on the eye bolt, the clamp and the clamping screw! I've looked everywhere! I have the pin with the cotter pins, the other long pin that holds the bar on the clamp, the set screws that hold the pin and the tightening screw + the painted wrench. All of them are cleaned and ready to be installed except the clamp that I will finish cleaning and paint as soon as I can find the bar. Why it's not near the lathe like all the other parts I don't know. Maybe I painted it and it's hanging someplace or worse bumped and it feel into a cranny. I looked at parts book and can see one side. Anyone have any other views or dimensions. I might be looking but don't recognize another view. Maybe a few photos?

I'll try and dig up some photos tonight when I'm home... I had some from when I asked for help

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Picture of a 12" Hendey tailstock clamp on Ebay right now. Easy enough to make if you don't find yours, especially as it is completely hidden once in place.

Good news I found the missing part! It was in a place I looked at least 3 times maybe more!
Now I have to put it back together, being I disassembled the entire tailstock. I added 2 Gits oil cups with felt to keep the ways oiled. Drilled and tapped the area over the ways to add wipers at a later date. Is there a procedure to install the clamp. I removed the eye bolt in the front, do I screw it all the way in? If not how do I adjust it?

Eyebolt goes in from under and the shaft the lever is on holds it in place. Make sure it is hanging on the eccentric part of the shaft. Put the clamp block on with nut and washer and tighten until you get clamping with the lever vertical and release with it pulled back towards the tailstock end

I know where everything goes, if I didn't I have a 12" version, same model and vintage. I'm wondering how to adjust the eye bolt, the shaft that holds it had cotter pins holing it in. Only way to rotate the eye bolt is to remove the shaft but I think there isn't enough space to slide it out. Might be just enough to release the eye bolt. But all is under the tail stock which is not light, rather heavy. Mine don't have an eccentric shaft. There are 2 about 1" pins. One the fits the eye bolt that holds the arm connected with a longer pin to the clamp. The arm extends to the rear of the tail stock, has a square hole so that a shaft threaded on both ends will not turn. That shaft then goes up in the center and connected to a threaded handle below the tail stock feed handle. It's use to lock the tail stock in place. Another nut under the arm provides tightening adjustment. The eye bolt will effectively be course adjustment and the nut fine adjustment. I'm thinking the eye bolt will never need adjustment once it's at the proper height. My tail stock does not use the items in the above photo. I'll tip over the 12" tail stock and add a photo.

Attachments

• CIMG2119.JPG
    CIMG2119.JPG
    436.7 KB · Views: 9
I posted a photo of the clamping system. I think I'll measure the thickness of the flat way and make a shim so as to adjust the eye bolt.Maybe add a leveling washer under the adjustment stud.

Back