Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cooperstock View Post
    Update:
    I spoke with the current owner. He has had the machine since 1957, He did his apprenticeship with this machine in his fathers machine shop. He said the building was build around the machine so it will need to be disassembled to move. He said he would help with the disassembly, he has no heavy equipment at location so equipment will need to be delivered in order to make things happen.
    I told him I would want to get his history of the machine so it could stay with the machine. He was glad to hear it wasn't going to get scraped.

I spoke with the auction house and they are going to let me go see it next week.
    Similar to when I got my 8' L.W. Pond VBM.
    To big to go thru the door without taking it apart and the spindle went down into a large pit by several feet.
    This was going to be very expensive if I had the riggers do the work.
    I was lucky. The shop I bought it from had a forklift and would let me use it. I knew the shop and owners.
    I raised the rail just enough so the table and spindle would clear when I raised the table to remove it.
    Locked down the rail, then went up top and removed the elevating drive to get the height down.
    Ran the head over to one side and tilted the head(it has just one head) as far as I could to also get the height down.
    Removed the spindle bearing cap and raised the table up and removed it. The table is held down just by gravity.
    Flipped the table so the spindle was straight up and set it down on blocking.
    Then went down into the pit and swam in oil and chips and removed the spindle end thrust support bracket and lower bearing bracket.
    Then removed the main motor drive for the machine. It was large and was out to the side of the machine.
    Then hauled all the parts away except for the table.
    When the riggers came all they had to do was raise the machine up to put blocking under it to get the forklift under the machine.
    It was a tight turn to get the machine out.
    The riggers loaded it and then the table and away we went.

Rob
    Last edited by Robert Lang; 11-09-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

H. Bickford's plant was located at 1002 Union Ave in Lakeport - "next to the Verizon phone store" as recent as 2012 as described in second link in Post #5

Google Maps

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=13689

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lang View Post
    Similar to when I got my 8' L.W. Pond VBM.
    To big to go thru the door without taking it apart and the spindle went down into a large pit by several feet.
    This was going to be very expensive if I had the riggers do the work.
    I was lucky. ...
    It was a tight turn to get the machine out.
    The riggers loaded it and then the table and away we went.

Rob
    Geez, I sure hope this machine isnt as involved. Todays inspection will give me much more insight into how this will be moved. I am supposed to go see it in about an hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Todays inspection will give me much more insight into how this will be moved. I am supposed to go see it in about an hour.
    So how did the inspection go?

Rob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Machine seems good considering the age...it will have to be disassembled to move it. Disassembly seemes reasonable assuming all the bolts actually come out. The owner is super nice, hes willing to assist in disassembly. Im trying to figure out the forklift logistics. Probably reasonable to disassemble in a day if a forklift is available, then transport the parts another day.
    The owner believes the whole thing weighs 8,000lbs or less...im not sure thats the case given the documents presented here and looking at the size of it. The auction ends the 28th, so we will see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The auction ends the 28th, so we will see what happens.
    So did you get the VBM?
    I checked the auction 1 1/2 hours before the end and only two bidders.
    You had not bid on it yet.

Rob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did not get it.
    I spoke with the auction company...the first time they said they would have their fork lift available for loading, then I went back again for viewing and they said they wouldn't have it available.
    There was just too many unknowns with rigging equipment, disassembly and time available. I hope the winner will put it to use.
    I hated to see the machine go, especially for such a steal of a price.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Good News is I got to meet the winner of the machine. He runs a machine shop making motorcycles and will be using the machine to make custom wheels for his projects. The machine will not get scrapped. He did not look at the machine prior to purchasing and I don't think he realized how big it was. He had the 'deer in the headlights' look when he was trying to figure how he was going to move it. But I am relieved its not going to scrap. I'll probably get the contact info for the purchaser in case he ever wants to sell it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Good News is I got to meet the winner of the machine. He runs a machine shop making motorcycles and will be using the machine to make custom wheels for his projects. The machine will not get scrapped. He did not look at the machine prior to purchasing and I don't think he realized how big it was. He had the 'deer in the headlights' look when he was trying to figure how he was going to move it. But I am relieved its not going to scrap. I'll probably get the contact info for the purchaser in case he ever wants to sell it.
    Ha, I wonder how big he thought it was? Seems like a medium sized lathe would do pretty well making motorcycle wheels...

10. Likes Mike C. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats what I was thinking...maybe he needed 48" rims for that REALLY custom job

12. Likes Mike C. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Assuming light alloy wheels - he'll be wanting to run a really slow spindle way too fast

14. Likes Mike C. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Good News is I got to meet the winner of the machine. He runs a machine shop making motorcycles and will be using the machine to make custom wheels for his projects. The machine will not get scrapped.
    I kind of figured it would not get scrapped.
    I saw that the high bidder on the VBM was also high bidder on quite a few of the other machine tools.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not confident. When he finds that it will not do the job it is likely to bite the dust. His choice of this machine for that purpose suggests that he is not at all knowledgeable of machines in general and especially the historic value of this one. After efforts to make it run fast and kluging everything else it won't be much more than scrap.

17. Likes Mike C., digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
    I'm not confident. When he finds that it will not do the job it is likely to bite the dust. His choice of this machine for that purpose suggests that he is not at all knowledgeable of machines in general and especially the historic value of this one. After efforts to make it run fast and kluging everything else it won't be much more than scrap.
    I hate to say that I agree with you. The owner let me take some of the other things that didn't go at the auction (tables, cabinets & bins) I was loading up one of the cabinets and there was a MT6 drill bit holder with a 2.5" drill bit in it. I recognized it as going with the VBM so I told the owner I was going to leave it with the machine as it should be with it. When the winning bidder came back I told him I found it and left it for him, he had a blank look and said something to the effect of 'what is this for?' I explained how he can use it to drill a large pilot hole before turning parts, he kinda laughed. He then asked where it went in the machine...
    I need to get his contact info and touch base in case he has second thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

High bidder may be interested to know it isn't a speedy spindle by any means - wholly unsuited to nice finishes on light metals

I doubt that it goes any where near 100 RPM tops

Looking at Post #9, I see the upper spindle bearing is 10" OD. If you limit this to 300 feet per minute, that's but 114 top end

On such designs you always have to take into consideration any TABLE thrust bearing surfaces. If such on a "5 foot mill" averaged 48" - its SFM would be over 1400 SFM at that pokey 114 RPM

I hate to say that I agree with you. The owner let me take some of the other things that didn't go at the auction (tables, cabinets & bins) I was loading up one of the cabinets and there was a MT6 drill bit holder with a 2.5" drill bit in it. I recognized it as going with the VBM so I told the owner I was going to leave it with the machine as it should be with it. When the winning bidder came back I told him I found it and left it for him, he had a blank look and said something to the effect of 'what is this for?' I explained how he can use it to drill a large pilot hole before turning parts, he kinda laughed. He then asked where it went in the machine...
    I need to get his contact info and touch base in case he has second thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    High bidder may be interested to know it isn't a speedy spindle by any means - wholly unsuited to nice finishes on light metals

I doubt that it goes any where near 100 RPM tops

Looking at Post #9, I see the upper spindle bearing is 10" OD. If you limit this to 300 feet per minute, that's but 114 top end

On such designs you always have to take into consideration any TABLE thrust bearing surfaces. If such on a "5 foot mill" averaged 48" - its SFM would be over 1400 SFM at that pokey 114 RPM
    If you're stood next to it with your wedding tackle at table height you won't think it's going too slow.

Regards Tyrone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    H. Bickford's plant was located at 1002 Union Ave in Lakeport - "next to the Verizon phone store" as recent as 2012 as described in second link in Post #5

Google Maps

BICKFORD Steam Engne - Lakeport - Winnipesaukee Forum
    A little bit of info on H. Bickford's factory at Union Ave. from 1915.
    Even though he went by Henry, his birth name was Hezekiah.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bickford-record-1915-2.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

But hey !

"At least it didn't get scrapped".....it's not for a Museum,
    there are newer machines out there better suited, made from
    the bones of old machines sent to the skip.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Lang View Post
    A little bit of info on H. Bickford's factory at Union Ave. from 1915.
    Even though he went by Henry, his birth name was Hezekiah.

Rob
    Article from 1900 showing the move of part of the factory on the water.

Machinery. v.6 1899-1900. - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library | HathiTrust Digital Library

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bickford-factory-1900-2-.jpg  

24. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would think the buyer will end up pulling the pin......hopefully ,for the owner ,after making full payment.....seen heaps of these ,guys buy sight unseen,seem to think they are just "securing" the machine so they can look at it at their leisure,and can pull out any time.just like fleabay..........keep in touch with the owner ,cause I bet the building will be sold,or cleared ,and the machines scrapped.