What's new
What's new

Help with Hendey Tailstock

KTapply

Plastic
I recently acquired a 12X30 Hendey Lathe 1940’s ( serial number 33029) I think. This old girl needs quite a bit of cleanup and probably some restoration to bring it into service. The tailstock was locked up solid but I managed to remove the handle, and the screw and get the cylinder out. However the mechanism that locks the tailstock in position doesn’t seem to be functioning properly and I need to get it apart. It’s not clear to me how to disassemble this. Can anyone give me some advice?

IMG_5560.jpgIMG_5562.jpgIMG_5563.jpg

Last edited:
KTapply:

If you look inside the bed from the tailstock end, you will notice a large nut hanging down from the Eye Bolt. Spray the area with
penetrating oil and remove the nut. Use a piece of wood or aluminum stock and tap on the clamp. that should allow the Tailstock to slide
along the Bed. If possible, remove the Tailstock from the lathe and put it on a bench to finish the service work. Sometimes, taking the
Tailstock apart can require a bit of effort.

As I noted in my email mail to you, your lathe, according to the records, is a 14 x 30 size and not a 12 x 30.

Hendeyman

Back