What's new
What's new

96" KING VBM weight?

alskdjfhg

Diamond
Anyone got any rough guesses on the weight of a 96" table king VBM?

Not seriously thinking about gettign the machine, mostly just curious.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1935 EMERMAN (used machinery Chicago) lists a 8 ft Cincinnati at 58,000. I imagine the King is much later and an additional bunch of weight

The table gets trucked separate, the back or "rail" comes off.

side turret ?

Probably a 3rd dis-assembly problem.

Enpro Systems pres. Mr. Painter's 16? footer had the table made in two halves. He had this stored for years in East Houston after acquiring it in the Hunters Point sell off in the nineties - and paying about $50K to have it rail transported to the Houston area from Bay area CA. When he tired of paying the storage fees it went to scrap along with a 135 ton (machine weight) "press brake"

Thanks for the info guys, if I had a crane in the shop I'd go for it.

I've run the same size machine at work, I'd have guessed the weight in the 30 to 40 ton range.

More of a question for my future knowledge than anything; but how hard is it to remove the tables on these old VTLs/VBMs? Does it just lift up or is there some retaining mechanism?

This old 120" Niles apparently just picked up. There is a very old thread on this. Good illustration of machines requiring a PIT

Note outer (outside ring gear) cast iron bearing. About 30 feet of scraped cast iron on scraped cast iron going by per rev - which is one reason they don't go very fast:D

Here is one of his threads

What I had to do to 120" Niles to get it running

ph

More of a question for my future knowledge than anything; but how hard is it to remove the tables on these old VTLs/VBMs? Does it just lift up or is there some retaining mechanism?

Attachments

• Willys Temporary Pictures 047.jpg
    Willys Temporary Pictures 047.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Willys Temporary Pictures 057.jpg
    Willys Temporary Pictures 057.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Ok cool,thanks for the pics John.

I'll bear those in mind when I actually buy a big VBM.

Matt,

You really want to sink your shop in that gumbo with a 96" VBL? :D You know, it would take a foundation 20 foot deep to stabilize that in your area. I know, I'm blowing it up by a bunch here.

My brother bought a 120" Betts, I believe it was, for the company he worked for at the time. Took two permitted truck loads to get it to Houston from New York. The foundation they put it on was over twelve foot deep.

Ken

Ken

Matt,

You really want to sink your shop in that gumbo with a 96" VBL? :D You know, it would take a foundation 20 foot deep to stabilize that in your area. I know, I'm blowing it up by a bunch here.

My brother bought a 120" Betts, I believe it was, for the company he worked for at the time. Took two permitted truck loads to get it to Houston from New York. The foundation they put it on was over twelve foot deep.

Ken

Ken

We've got literally the same machine at work. That part of the shop used to have a 15' by 100' Niles lathe on it, so stout foundation. (That lathe came from Watervliet and made 16" guns for Iowa class battleships, it used to have 250' of bed)

But certainly nothing special for the machine, id expect a 12in flat slab tbh.

We have a 120" Cincinnati at work as well, but in a different department.

Only a few machines have dedicated foundations, a few lathes and a couple of mills. All the small (less than 80" swing) lathes, small HBM's and VTLs/VBMs do not.

Back