What's new
What's new

Abrasive Machine Tool surface grinder

Dpelkowski

Plastic
Good morning everyone,
I recently picked up this surface grinder. Can anyone help me identify the model, and possibly help me find a copy of the owners manual? Any help would certainly be appreciated. Thanks,

Don20190908_221233.jpg

I have one too. It's an Abrasive Model 3B, 8x24" mechanical automatic surface grinder.
The manual can be ound free for download at Vintagemachinery.com... the trick is to look under "Landis" rather than Abrasive Machine Tool Co.
Landis bought the Abrasive grinder line and continued selling them without modification for a while, and this machine was simply the Landis 3B surface grinder for a while.
I've found it to be a very solid workhorse grinder... I modified mine to run 2x72" belts and use it a ton for flattening and truing billets in my damascus steel work and for other knife related tasks.

Thats exactly what I bought this one for. I feel like I stole it at $200. Would you mind sharong drawings and/or parts info for your conversion? Also, where can i source the main belt for this thing? Thanks.

Thats exactly what I bought this one for. I feel like I stole it at $200. Would you mind sharong drawings and/or parts info for your conversion? Also, where can i source the main belt for this thing? Thanks.

I pretty much cowboyed the conversion. I used a serrated 8" contact wheel from an old Square Wheel grinder, and turned it to fit the Abrasive machine's hub. I used the old tension wheel from that square wheel as well, for a tension/tacking wheel on the SG's conversion arm, in a two wheel configuration. I fabbed the tracking assembly and arm myself. It's just a telescoping arm with a heavy push spring inside for tension, and a hinged mount with tracking screw for the top wheel. Then I split a piece of 4" pipe (IIRC)for a hub collar, welded ears on, welded the tracking arm to it, bolt clamped it to the grinder spindle housing. Dirt simple.
Here's a little video of mine running though, you do get a short look at the tracking area.
YouTube

Back